f-prot 6.0 beta release news

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by carioca, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carioca

carioca Registered Member

Hi Buddies!,
    I received this e-mail from FRisk Tech Support. It may interest to someone else who is F-prot user and admirer. But pay it attention to It :"We are at this moment preparing a public beta release of F-Prot Antivirus 6.0 next week, hopefully on Monday" It is not certain yet.

Private email removed. Please do not post private correspondence on these forums. Ron

To The F-Risk Sales,
    My license is about ending. It is going to expire on 25th., 2006. Thus, I
    have heard at the Internet Forum about your new F-prot 6.0. Your last e-mail
    you said to me you would be going to put in the market a new one before my
    license had expired. Otherwise,you told me I will be certain eligible to try
    it on. Thus, in order to decide If I will renew or not, Could send me a beta
    copy of your F-prot 6.0 in order to try it on? Please, let me know any news
    where is the site to download the new f-prot 6.0 even beta one? Best
    Regards."

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  2. carioca

carioca Registered Member

Thank you I forgot to remove the private message.bye.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Geez, they are not private e-mails if you ask company with intention to publish that info somewhere. :rolleyes: People are taking this TOS stuff way to serious...

If the mail is copy&paste it's the end of the world, but if he'd retype the same thing by hand, it would be ok. Ek?:rolleyes:

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

IMO it seems to be that if the email is from a "friendly" to the site then this is what happens. Other than that it is ok. :rolleyes:

5. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

Good catch. Another example: "You are not allowed to post any deep links to my website. You may only link to my portal site." Such orders which can be frequently found in the web are completely meaningless.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all:

The topic of this thead is the forthcoming F-Prot 6.0 beta, let's try to stay on topic.

As for the posting of private e-mail content, it is simple common courtesy to not copy the verbatim content of a private message without the explicit permission of the sender. There are a host of reasons for this, not the least of which is the privacy of the sender in the event the communication was made in strict confidence.

Although the verbatim content is frequently benign, occassionally one could unintentionally put the original sender in an extremely compromised position. We're simply not about to parse for these extremes, hence the blanket admonition to not cut/paste email messages into postings and the blanket approach that private emails will be snipped from posts.

Blue

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just because it was copy&paste imo...

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The original post contained not only a private email from a company but also the posters private contact information as well.

Bottom line, private email will be removed now and in the future.

10. comma dor dash

On topic:

As some of you may know a V6 beta was already released and then withdrawn. This version is still usable and is constantly updated.

I feel that it might somehow violate the TOS if I post a link to that pre-beta version. But please let me know if I'm wrong.

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IMO, usable BUT only with care.

I would not recommend this "pre-beta" for newbies. After installing it runs an on-demand scan and if it finds a false positive, it does not ask the user but runs the default setting of disinfecting/deleting the file. Maybe one of the reasons why it was originally pulled down!

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The company pulled the link for good reason. No links please. The beta version will be out shortly.

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

,.-

I'd simply recommend waiting for the official beta version to appear at the vendor's public download location. The time for that seems to be quite short now and the pedigree of the program will not be open to question.

Blue

14. comma dor dash

@Blackcat

"After installing it runs an on-demand scan and if it finds a false positive, it does not ask the user but runs the default setting of disinfecting/deleting the file."

That's right. I also critized this issue in the previous thread. So far this has not changed. I could imagine that the F-Prot guys do not consider this a major problem because the deleted files are quarantined and can be restored. However, this may not work if a false positive kills a file required for system startup or the harddrive is full so that no more files can be quarantined. (I faced this problem once when KAV unexpectedly started a scheduled scan (default settings) and deleted my entire trojan archive ;-) That's why I hope that the final beta will allow us to prevent on demand scans from deleting every malware found.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It already does, you just have to run custom scan (New Task), not the one already listed as On-Demand scan.

16. comma dor dash

I know. But if you simply scan c: with the help of a right mouse click ...

That's why I hope that they will change it.

17. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Great News. Would be even better if they keep the current liscense style :D

Cant wait to see how FProt perform ^^

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It can be possible the license will be reduced to 3 or 4PCs, or price increased by USD 5.00

This is just assumption, so don't take it seriously. But it seems logical, considering that F-Prot 6 has taken a long time to develop and surely the development costs may have been higher than F-Prot 3.x, especially since there are so many new features in F-Prot 6 as compared to v3, including improved heuristics and spyware detection....

19. Blackcat

I had a reply back about a week ago saying that the present license arrangement for 5 Home PC's would stay the same ;)

20. Firecat

What about the price?

21. Blackcat

I did not ask but I cannot see why there would be a price increase? Most AV vendors do not hike their prices even with big development costs. Look at Kaspersky, huge changes with the latest KAV/KIS 6 but prices have stayed the same.

22. Firecat

If I remember correctly, Kaspersky's 2-year license costs have gone up as compared to before. It could be possible for F-Prot too.

One thing I want from F-Prot is the ability to buy multiple-year licenses from their online shop.

23. Blackcat

No increase in the price of a new license/license renewal for KAV here in the UK and elsewhere KIS 6 may have increased slightly in price compared to the older version.

F-Prot AV needs to stay competitive on price with the competiton and don't forget at the present time Frisk is unusual among AV vendors in not giving a discount for license renewal with its Home license.

However, the unbelievable low prices for its Corporate and Educational users and its present generous Home license conditions indicate that, overall, Frisk are not in the business of squeezing their customers for more cash!

24. Firecat

I know. I really like FRISK's pricing policy (don't mind if there's no renewal price), I hope they keep this customer-friendly policy. :)

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes, but KAV already costs an arm & a leg, whereas F-prot merely costs a couple of fingers.

When FP 6 delivers, I will readily pay a higher price. In view of the belly-up status of TDS-3 et alia, I get antsy about sustained low prices on the part of an outfit that MUST recurrently update sigs.

After all, Frisk has to pay the Inspector what he's worth, right?:ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.