F-Prot 3.14a

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FluxGFX, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I would like some feedback about it and tell me what people think about.
    I'm addressing my self to the users of F-Prot.

I've used F-Prot in the past on WIN95 and 3.11 that's a long time back and back then it was THA BOMB

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I use F-Prot for DOS as a backup on-demand scanner and believe it to be quite good. The engine in F-Prot is considered to be very powerful and is used by some other AV products, I believe.

There was a thread just a short time back which was basically a product review of F-Prot for Windows, done by a member here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10006

3. FluxGFX

I've been testing it out with NOD32 currently doest give any conflict and no computer slowdown.

Just a little + to NOD32 since the rise of various viruses on the internet ;)
    but let's put it this way...

why pay for software... if you have some skills to test it out?
    shsss *bad me*

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Both NOD and F-Prot have very fast scan engines, which is probably related to the fact that they have relatively weak unpackers. Thorough unpacking of files takes time, so scan speed slows down.

For example,the king of the unpackers, KAV, has a relatively slow scan speed.

Therefore, if you are looking for a suitable backup scanner to NOD, KAV or a KAV-based AV, may be a better choice. Particularly if you have no Anti-trojan program installed.

However, I can highly recommend F-Prot as a primary AV scanner, or as a backup scanner on non-NOD systems.

It has virtually no effect on system resources and you can basically run it straight out of the box. Very good virus detection and a new version 4 is due out in the new year with a lot more 'bells and whistles' attached.

5. FluxGFX

Thx Blackcat ;)

has for an anti-trojan, whats the use of it when you anylize them to see how they work ;)

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Another vote for F-prot.

F-prot is hard to beat, as to effectiveness, speed, low resource usage, & price.

Another plus for F-prot is that their support is fast & friendly.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree that F-prot is a good scanner. It's real time scanner tests well with the Eicar test file, and it caught a virus sent in a zip file, that looked pretty genuine. I am happy.

8. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I have used it to scan all mail at our mailserver and worked perfectly.
    For the manual update, I made a downloader/unzipper which can do that for you. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10735
    If you subscribe for the update alert service, you will get an e-mail telling new definitions are available. When you make a rule in your mailclient the downloader can be triggered automatic
    Dolf

9. Karl_Menshy

Karl_Menshy Registered Member

Be sure that you zip the eicar.com "correctly", i.e. if you zip only eicar.com, then the test string may appear uncompressed in the resulting zip as it is too small to be compressed; eicar.com is 68 bytes long, a zipped version is about 200 bytes due to the added zip format header.

You can check this if you open the eicar.zip with notepad; you will see the eicar string unchanged; that's why some on access scanners detect it, not because they unpack compressed files. So if you want to test the inside archive scanning, zip some more files together with eicar.com and see whether it is still detected.

As far as I know f-prot on access does not scan inside archives; it does test some mail formats, though as far as I remember. But of course the lack of on access archive scanning does not change F-Prot's excellent rating. :)

10. cfp999

cfp999 Registered Member

I like F-Prot. It is relatively fast and has a very low impact on system performance/memory. The interface is simple and easy to use. I used to run it on a 200MHz/32MB Pentium with no problems. I am however not sure how good it is at protecting itself from being shutdown by viruses/worms. I saw that happen a year ago or so on one of my machines. Dont know if other AVs are better at this. If it wasnt for that I would prefer nothing else.

11. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

If a nasty wants to shutdown your AV you're too late anyway :'(
    Dolf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.