F/P on new Frostwire (4.17.0) Release?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by spy1, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

http://software-files.download.com/...3cf6342c047a8d318e&pid=10862565&psid=10627624 a variant of Win32/AdInstaller application connection terminated - quarantined Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

I'm thinking this may be related to the included option of installing the "Ask" toolbar (or making it your homepage or whatever). This is NOT a "hidden" install, it's clearly DE-selectable in the setup portion of the program.

I'm aware that it's probably stopping the d/l of the program because I have NOD set to catch "potentially Unwanted/Unsafe Appications - but my question is -should it be flagged and blocked at all? Pete

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Correct
    Frostwire.JPG
    If that's a group question, I'll say yes if We take the whole Nod user base as a whole when considering such coverage.

Also, I would be of the opinion that folks that are deeply concerned about privacy would stand with the majority of the Security\Privacy sector that flags IAC's Ask Toolbar as a possible Unwanted/Unsafe Appication.

YMMV but I doubt it ;) :cool:

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

If it were a hidden install (NOT clearly and easily selectable by the user), yes, I'd agree.

But from where I'm looking at it, it's absolutely no different than programs such as CCleaner (which never gets flagged by NOD, of course) which will park the Yahoo toolbar on your browser before you can blink if you're not watching what you're doing when you install it.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3666/askhomepagesg6.jpg

If the "Ask" components got installed without user-intervention (or contrary to the users' de-selection at the time of FW installation), yeah, I'd grant you that that would be more-than-sufficient reason to block the d/l.

I tried several times to submit the .exe, but NOD kept bailing out - even when I zipped.

Oh well. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.