EZTrust v. IPE...couple of questions??????

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by discogail, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discogail

discogail Security Expert

Finally dumped IPE & installed EZTrust. It's basically the same..so it's very familiar...but I wonder about a couple of things.
    First of all, the new dat files..the updates....don't get stored in the program directory...yes? Even the freshly installed file is not there.
    .......after I get the dialog box inquiring whether I want to install now, & agree...after the file is unpacked, the previous download box sits on the desktop for awhile before disappearing..never had to wait like that before...
    Lastly....Unlike IPE....is there a reboot necessary after each update?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

[Re: EZTrust v. IPE...couple of questionso_Oo_O

discogail - You can make the program store the new datfile in the program directory by (from the main screen of EZAV) clicking 'Options'/'Program'/'AutoDownload' tab, then going down to where it says 'Keep down-loaded file' and putting a check in it and saving that configuration when it throws the box up asking you if you want to do so. (By default the program does not save the datfile separately).

The reason it sits there so long before it closes is because it's actually applying the new datfile - what you're seeing then is the program halting, changing dats and re-starting itself with the new dats. (I always close and re-open the program, anyway, just to make sure). You can verify this for yourself by immediately checking the 'About' tab after an update - it'll show the new datfile as what's being used.

Since I use eTrust  only as a back-up/crosscheck of the other two on my computer, anyone else using it on a day-to-day basis as primary feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. HTH Pete

3. marti

marti Registered Member

Hi discogail,

eTrust has an option of storing each update (and then you go in later and delete it) or it replaces the old with the new.

On the eTrust menu:  Options > program > autodownload.  Look for the "advanced options" header at the bottom.  You have a choice of "interactive update" or "keep downloaded file."

From the eTrust program help files:

Once the Setup program has been run:
    The .DAT files will be copied to your eTrust EZ Antivirus directory. If you wish to update your Real-Time protection you will need to reboot your PC. Once it has been rebooted eTrust EZ Antivirus will be able to find automatically all of the latest viruses.

And IPE did need to be rebooted after each update, as I recall.  I always rebooted after each update.  

By the way, the reference disk feature works perfectly with eTrust.  It stopped working with IPE months ago.

Hope this helps,
    marti

4. discogail

discogail Security Expert

Yes....it does help, marti..thanks...& you too, Pete.
    I never rebooted w/ IPE...as I was never prompted to & the message always popped up that the update was successful...etc.
    The new dat file does not show up in my program directory at all.
    I discovered that closing EZTrust.....then reopening shows the new file when I click 'About".

5. marti

marti Registered Member

Hi discogail,

I always reboot after any program update.  Instead of reading through help files and web sites for each program, to determine if the program developer suggests "reboot" or "not reboot," I have a very simple method for the various security/privacy programs that I run.

Download the update, install the update, reboot, run a full system scan. If all of my programs are updated within hours of each other, so be it.  

marti

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

DG & marti - I see why it's confusing, though.

I just opened the main screen of eTrust, clicked 'About' and here's what I had showing:
    Major Dat File v1000
    Minor Dat File v2015
    Macro Dat File May1, 2002 (VMD Ver 1.6)

Okay, so I chose 'Autodownload' from the 'Tools' menu and update. It goes through the routine, tells me the download was successful and installed.

Clicked 'About' again (without ever having shut the program down) and what I had showing was the same thing (above).

So, I guess I'll drop them a line and ask them if it really did update itself on the spot. (I believe it actually does).

I think the thing that's throwing us off here is the  lack of ability of the program itself to change the 'About' information while the program itself is still open.

I'll let you know when/if they get back to me. Pete

*PeteNote - Email sent to their tech support.

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Here's the answer to the question about when the updates take effect (I was right and wrong):

"Thank you for your e-mail.

If you have run the Autodownload from the Tools menus, you will need to
    close EZ AV and then open it again to use the new signatures for the On
    Demand scanner.  The EZ AV Real-Time drivers are unloaded and reloaded during
    the update process.

Regards,

Steve Trusler
    Systems Engineer
    My eTrust Antivirus Support Team
    Computer Associates "

Everybody got that now? The RealTime drivers are updated on-the-spot (without closing/re-opening the program) , but the On Demand Scanner won't pick up the update until the program is closed and then re-started.

(Actually got that answer sometime last night, but I didn't see it until after I got home and I was too beat to post it then! :) ) Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.