EZ Armor antivirus...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Comp01, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Would EZ Armor Antivirus make a good backup scanner, or would I be better off with bit-defender free? (I am running Win2k SP4)

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's a tough call. Both are good on recent tests by Virus Bulletin. EZ is much lighter on resources than BD. BD is better than EZ at handling runtime-packed nasties. EZ can do Real-Time Monitoring, if you should ever need it to do so. BD-free cannot.

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

why not use an online virus scan, they are free and preconfigured, u can delete or uninstall when you are finished and they are just as good as the paid product.

4. bellgamin

EZ Armor is also free right now...
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

The level of detail & configurability provided by BD & EZ far outweigh using one-shot online scans. So why compare a free BD or a free EZ to an online scan? Seems a bit off-thread to me.:doubt:

5. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Because the online scans are preconfigured to bring out the best from that particular AV, it is how they win alot of customers.
    they're set up by the programers with the latest virus definitions and heuristics.
    a cheaper and quicker way to get a second opinion.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

On-line scans are good when you are already infected or as a second or third opinion, thats firefighting. But I like to have an on-acces AV to prevent my house is set on fire.

Gerard

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature Meltdown,
    Thanks for the link. I have Command AV on this PC, but my older Compaq has EZAV that version and other products plug the other security issues. It fits my needs perfectly. It is a validation of what I was thinking I needed. Thanks. For others reading this make sure you have the other items of security. They are needed. ;)

9. Meltdown

To clarify: the EZ Armor package - free for one year - includes EZ AV plus the EZ Firewall (apparently this is ZA5 under another name, I would guess this has to be the free version). I downloaded it earlier today but the file got corrupted in the process - 11 Mb on dialup so I think I'll pass this one up. Sounds okay as a backup, just a shame about the branding - the "EZ" prefix doesn't inspire confidence.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Meltdown,
    I chose only EZAV. I have ZAP 4.5 already. I have a source that has been reliable in the past, that has told me EZ Armor free has ZA 4.5, not ZA 5. I have no personal knowledge of this because as I said I chose only EZAV install. I did download with Broadband connection.

Just because ZL decided to use EZAV instead of building one or picking some one else, does not make it bad. Yes, ZA 5 has problems, EZAV excellent for free near as I can tell. Have not had it to long on one of my machines. Sorry in advance if I misunderstood you. :doubt:

11. Meltdown

Er, mercurie, you've got me confused, I think you've misunderstood me. My second post was just extra information on the EZ Armor package that I'd picked up from trawling around the web, I wasn't making any kind of argument, or knocking the package in any way, other than my inconsequential comment about the name.

Like I said, the installation file got corrupted when I downloaded it, probably my fault because I paused the download a couple of times. As I'm on dialup and it's quite a large file, which I was only downloading out of curiosity, I decided not to try a second time.

Good news if it's ZA 4.5, that's the one I use. Glad to hear you like EZ AV, I'm sure people reading this thread will be interested in any further information you can give as a user. And thanks for apologising in advance for any potential misunderstanding. Take care.

12. bellgamin

As a matter of fact, some online scanners are NOT complete versions. For example, the MKS online scanner doesn't use full heuristics. Check Stormbyte's MKS forum at...
    http://stormbyte.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18

Also, some online scanners are set-up to find allegedly *suspicious* stuff, in order to lure the user into believing that the AV which sponsors the online scanner is better than the AV that they are now using.

The only online scanner that I know enough about to trust is Housecall by TrendMicro.

By the way, EZ antivirus is temporarily available by a *free offer* but it is NOT a free antivirus. See HERE.

Also, EZ AV uses the Vet engine, which is ranked quite high on VB tests at...
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?vet.xml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.