extremely slow scan with nod 32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bigc73542, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Good luck on the other comp.
    As u probably know there are so many things that can affect speed on ur machine.

Hard drive speed eg 5200rpm, 7200rpm etc
    Sometimes AMD chips only run at half speed, there is a switch of some sorts in bios, im not to sure but I know a guy who has a 2600+ that was running at 1.1 GHz. there was a switch he had to change to get it to run properly.

You could also try giving the process a higher priority, and make sure there is enough free processor/ram available.

As a last note ive seen Nod32 scans slow to a near stop when there is a Trojan infection on the pc. Might be worth while trying TDS3 or similar if u already haven't

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You don't happen to have an image of your system with just Windows?

Would be nice to see scan time with Nod32 next installed, then add a program until culprit is found...

Cheers :D

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is what is baffling, this comp is clean of all infections I have 1023 megs of ram and I never use a third of that. I had my own computer repair shop for over ten years and I learned to keep my comp in very clean shape. I disabled all software that has any kind of resident program associated with it and it didn't help. Now I have trialed nod about a year and a half ago and it was very fast. So I figured the newer version would be to but maybe not. I will know tomorow.

thanks
    bigc

4. Blackspear

I've used Nod32 for over 2 years, and found very little difference in scanning times between versions...

5. bigc73542

What is irrating me is that the two av's that I am running now and two others I tried yesterday run just fine on here but after several different installas of nod it with all of my security apps turned off or disabled it just scans about the same speed as norton ,if you know how fast that is. Well I am going to run the comparison test tomorow and that should answer my question. I would try it on my granddaughters comp but it is so slow the internet will rust waiting for it to connect. Win98 333 processor 32megs ram. ouch

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The new version is somewhat slower on demand. It seems faster than ever realtime.
    I like my speed. I spent to many years slogging around before NOD.

There is a conflict somewhere.

7. Sweetie(*)(*)

Mabey you could try bench testing software, like the stuff used by gamers.
    Possibly it could shed some light on the problem, or point to hardware problem.

does seem very strange though

8. bigc73542

I have tested it and the hardware is functioning perfectly. Who knows nod might just not like my comp.

9. Sweetie(*)(*)

ok, wasnt sure. your computer isn't an IBM is it?

10. bigc73542

custom ordered High performance HP

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

DKservices...related to Diskeeper? You've got too many processes running in the background. Try killing all of them except for taskmgr, explorer, svchost, lsass, services, winlogon, csrss, smss, and system.

Any improvement in safe mode?

12. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Just for another reference, selecting "In-depth analysis" on a 30 gig HD, NOD32 scans 259792 files in 1551 sec (00:25:51).

------------
    number of scanned files: 259792
    number of viruses found: 0
    time of completion: 11:14:24 total scanning time: 1551 sec (00:25:51)
    ------------

13. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Agree.

Good luck finding the offender, BigC. NOD32 shouldn't be taking that much time. It's fighting with something...

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The scan speed depends also on the number of archives you have on the disk. If there are large archives (which might not be supported by other AV), it might take NOD32 much more time to scan them as they need to be unpacked first.

15. Blackspear

Thanks for that Marcos, now we'll have to wait and see what BigC comes up with...

16. bigc73542

Well I am glad I won the nod subscription instead of buying it. I still think nod is a very good product but after trying it on my sons computer and seeing the results of that test I believe I will stay with what I am running now. My computer is running very well, and the av's I am running now are working well also. I just guess it wasn't meant to be. I really do want to thank you all for the help and attention you have given to this problem.

bigc

17. Blackspear

Are the number of files scanned the same with both AV's, or do they simply skip archives?

18. bigc73542

The file count is higher with panda and just about a hundred less with command

Panda and command both scan archives

19. Blackspear

I would chase Marcos and Bandicoot, Nod32 is supposed to have the fastest scanner on the market.

It would be interesting to see why Nod is so slow on your machine.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  20. bigc73542

especially when the other four av's I tried after this happened scan fairly fast. Command scans very fast.

21. Stan999

It would have been of interest and may have provided some good information to have found out why the NOD32 scan was running so slow on your machines as compared to others. However, I can understand why you changed. Perhaps at some future time you might get a chance to test it some more?

22. bigc73542

I have not lost interest in this situation so I will repost here if any new information comes to light. And thanks again everyone that replied.

23. Stan999

If you do get another chance to test it on a Win2k/XP machine you might check the "Windows Task Manager" to see if another process may be showing
    an abnormal amount of CPU usage while running the NOD32 on demand scanner.

24. bigc73542

That is one of the things that is a little baffling, I checked and there are not any other processes useing above normal amounts of CPU useage. o_O just one of those little mysteries of life.

25. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I am interested in the outcome as well, I used to use Platinum 7 as well and currently use NOD. NOD scans about 30k more files in just about half the time on both computers. A PII 450 desktop with a 60GB 7200rpm HDD and 512 RAM it takes about 24 mins to scan 16GB of data, and a 1.7 P4 laptop with a 20 GB 4200rpm and 256 RAM it takes about 29 mins to scan about 14GB. Panda took almost 50 mins on each. NOD scans 150k-160k files on the desktop on 120-130k on the laptop and Panda about 30k less on each. Not sure what the prob is for you bigc.

At one point I used to have both installed and used NOD as on access and Panda as on demand so they both play well together, at least they did on both my systems.

Editted to add: bigc did you ever trial or use KAV 5?, I trialled it and it really slowed down both Panda and NOD as well as defrags until I got rid of the ADS streams that KAV installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.