Extremely slow image restore from External USB2 drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Guy123, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy123

Guy123 Registered Member

Using Aronis True Image 9 Home Edition (build 3677)
    HP Pavilion 8300 Core Duo Dual core 2Ghz/ 1GB RAM

I'm experiencing extremely slow image restore from External USB2 drive (3 hours or more) for 25 GB image.

Backed up image to NexStar 3 external USB2 hard drive
    Restore from external USB2 hard drive to Main “C’ drive.
    I Initiated restore from True Image software winthin Winnows XP
    ATI Software rebooted out of Windows XP prior to restore.
    It too 3 hour or more to restore to “C” drive

My hunch is it has something to do with no USB2 drivers in Acronis software.
    After reading on this forum about Bart PE, I went ahead and downloaded Bart PE and the ATI 8 plug-in for Bart PE.

When I tried to restore from within Bart PE using the ATI 8 plug-in, ATI message dialog box stated that the image was corrupt.

I think that the ATI 8 plug-in does not recognize image created with version 9 so I’m still no further than when I started researching the reason for slow restore from USB2 drive.

Not too happy with Acronis product or tech help! I Sent a tech support email about this, and it took 3 days or so for them to get back to me with some lame email that does not even address this issue!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

The version you're using should have a plug-in included. You need to select it when installing TI.

3. Guy123

Guy123 Registered Member

Hi,

Ok, I added Bart PE via the install program as you suggested and it installed it in The Acronis Program folder. Do I need to copy and paste the Bart PE plug-in or move it to the Bart PE plug-in folder? or is it used in some other way in version 9

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  4. TheWeaz

It's like the other TI plug-in you used. It will not do anything via TI; you need to move it to the PE builder plug-in folder like you did with the last plug-in and rebuild your image.

5. Guy123

Guy123 Registered Member

Ok great, I moved the plug-in in the Bart PE plug-in folder just like I did before with the older plug-in and rebuilt a new boot CD. Now it recognize the image correctly and it works. I haven't done a recovery with this new CD yet but I am hopeful that it will solve the speed problem as it will be booting with Windows drivers.

You've answered my questions a lot better and faster than Acronis did. I have to wonder if they even take the time to read the emails they receive. They just send these non specific generic emails and they don't even pertain to the actual questions they are being asked nor do they address the issues.

I thank you again for taking the time to respond.

6. TheWeaz

IMHO – Acronis, in trying to satisfy all the “your product is good, but I want …”, has overextended themselves. Each little change or feature they add creates another potential set of problems and more complaints and demands; it just snowballs.
    A good thing should sometimes just be left alone.

7. cdmazoff

cdmazoff Registered Member

Hello Guy123

I'm very interested in doing what you did on my computer. I have ATI 9.

Could you please email me (cdmazoff@hotmail.com) and then I can email you private and get step by step instructions from you on how you did it?

Thanks in advance

CD

8. Guy123

Guy123 Registered Member

Creating a Barts PE boot disk that includes the Acronis 9 Plug-in.
    Here is what I did
    I had already installed Acronis 9 on my computer
    Getting the Acronis 9 plug-in for Barts PE
    I Loaded the Acronis 9 Installation CD or if you downloaded the software you can double click on the setup icon.

Clicked on Install Acronis
    Then clicked on Modify ( to modify my installation)
    I Select the Bart PE icon and click on “Will be Installed on local hard drive”
    Clicked Next

Acronis then installed the Acronis 9 pug-in for Bart PE folder in the Acronis program folder. Usually ( C:\Program Files\Acronis\True Image Home )
    It has no function while it is located in that folder, but for now you can just leave it there.

I Download and install PE Builder 3.1.10a
    I Download Bart PE from http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/download/
    I then Install Bart PE
    I Navigated to Bart PE plug-in folder( C:\Program Files\Barts PE\pebuilder1110a\plugin ) and created a new folder called Acronis in the plug-in folder.
    Next thing was to move the Bart plug-in from the Acronis folder to the Barts PE plug-in folder
    Using Cut & Paste method, I then cut all the files that were located in BartPE folder (C:\Program Files\Acronis\True Image Home\BartPE) and pasted them in the Acronis folder I had created ( C:\Program Files\Barts PE\pebuilder1110a\plugin\Acronis )

Before running PE Builder, I loaded my Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD in my CD rom drive (exit out of XP installation set-up window when it pops up)
    I Then ran PE Builder.
    In the Source: file section, I pointed to the Windows XP CD ROM, for me (F:\)
    I left the Custom: section blank
    Output: C:\Program Files\Barts PE\pebuilder3110a\pebuilder.iso
    Media Output: ( Create ISO Image)
    Clicked on Plug-in button and made sure the Acronis True Image was there and that it was enabled. Clicked on Close
    Then I clicked on Build to create my ISO file
    I then used a separate ISO burning software to burn the image to disk, but you can burn directly from Bart PE if you like
    That should pretty much get you there.
    You can find more info at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/intro/

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.