ExtFS not unmounting under 10.10.5?

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by nospamboz, Sep 18, 2015.

1. nospamboz

nospamboz Registered Member

On a OS X 10.10.5 system, my ExtFS (v 9.7.109) partition cannot be unmounted, unless forced. When the unmount fails, the following shows up in the system log:

9/18/15 12:23:27.532 Disk Utility[389]: Unmount of disk0s3 blocked by dissenter PID=0 (unknown) status=0x0000c010 log=unknown message=(null)

I'm not sure when it stopped working. I do not think it is the first time I've tried it since the 10.10.5, but I can't be sure. I've tried uninstall/reinstall of ExtFS, but no effect.

It becomes an issue when I use VMware Fusion to run the partition in a VM. Fusion used to be able to unmount the volume automatically so it could use the partition directly, remounting it when done, but not anymore.

I also have a NTFS WIndows partition that I use as a VM, also usually mounted with Paragon NTFS for OS X (v. 12.2.213), and that unmounts fine.

Thanks for any help.

2. nospamboz

nospamboz Registered Member

Well, that was embarrassing. I did what I should have done in the first place. After force unmounting the ExtFS partition, I ran Verify Disk in Disk Utility, and there were errors. So I booted the partition natively in Linux recovery mode, ran fsck to fix the problems, booted back into OS X, and now it unmounts and mounts fine! Stupid me.

I suspect that the problem may be something I've observed in Fusion, when I use the Fusion menu to shutdown the VM. Only with this Linux ExtFS partition it shuts down "too quickly", and I suspect it's behaving more like a power off than a shut down. From now own I'll use the Linux interface to shut down the VM. I don't think the issue is ExtFS-related at all. Sorry.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

3. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Not at all !

The act of writing out a problem often results in viewing it with a "fresh pair of eyes "

BTW , welcome to Wilders :)

4. bradnic

bradnic Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.