External USB Drive Corrupt Image Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chrisjprest, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisjprest

chrisjprest Registered Member

I have been using TI9 and backing up my laptop to an external 40g IBM USB hard drive. The image backs up fine and restores fine.

However, I also have a second USB 2 40gb hard drive and everytime I back up it all seems OK until I do an archive check and find it the image is corrupt. I use laptop hard drives in the USB drives and have tried backing up every way possible to avoid a corrupt image. (in windows and recovery mode). Unfortunately, I can't use the IBM USB drive for backup storage because I have other data on that drive.

So thinking my problem was with my on board memory I checked that and all is fine, checked the hard drive and all is fine. Finally thinking the problem was with the USB case/ controller on the second USB 2 hard drive, I went and bought a new case/controller. Backed up and again same problem. So I took out the hard drive from the second USB external drive and attached to the IBM USB controller card and all backed up fine and the image is not corrupt.

What could be the problem with the second USB hard drive which is causing the corrupt image files. As I said I just purchased a brand new controller. What could be the difference between the IBM USB hard drive controller which works fine and the other one. They look the same to me and both have two USB port inputs for the power they need

Any ideas?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Since you found the IBM external works and restores fine, then the problem is with the other external case - as you eventually determined. TI tends to be picky with certain hardware, external cases being one of them.

I don't have a solution for making the other two external cases work, but instead of using those, why not get a 3.5 usb external case to keep your backups. The drives for these will be much much less than an equivalent laptop drive and these cases are externally powered. I have four different types of external cases and they all work with TI.

In fact one is not a case at all but a cable device that has all the necessary connectors to connect an ide device to a usb port. It also has an adapter to connect a laptop drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.