External USB 3.0 Not Recognized.

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by GizmoGorilla, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GizmoGorilla

GizmoGorilla Registered Member

Searching the forum I did not find anything to help me. Im trying to run the Paragon boot media that was created with BMB, most recently downloaded from Paragon a couple days ago. Im using a Dell Laptop, only a couple weeks old. All it has are USB 3.0 ports, and my external drive is WD passport 1T USB 3.0. After booting off the recovery disk the passport drive doesn't show up. I know there are drivers that could be injected into the winPE disc but which ones? There are drivers on the dell internal disk but I cant tell which ones to use. I've tried installing all combinations of these drivers and nothing works.

Dell Inspiron 15 SE
    intel i7 cpu win7x64
    8G ram

Thanks!

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

you just need to find the drivers on the disk or on Dell.com which are for a WinPE 32 bit form. The BMB installation which comes with the purchased product is based off of WAIK 3.0 which is a Windows 7 32 bit

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The last version of Hard Disk Manager BMB can be used to build a boot medium using WAIK or WADK. In the first case, the resulting medium doesn´t have USB 3.0 drivers, and the 32-bit drivers must be added manually. In the second case (WADK), the resulting medium has the USB 3.0 drivers included in Windows 8, and is a 64-bit medium if build in a 64-bit computer.

@GizmoGorilla: Post the problem in the Dell forum. They will help you find the drivers. Or, as explained above, if you are using the latest version of HDM BMB, build a new medium using WADK, not WAIK (WADK is a 2.5 GB download).

4. GizmoGorilla

GizmoGorilla Registered Member

Thanks!

I'll give it a try when Im home

5. Paragon_Matt

Robin, are you referring using the new WinPE 4.0 WADK? based off Windows 8 x64?

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

It has been learned from another thread I started that using the latest 16240 build of HDM and AIK, on a 64-bit machine you "now" use the 64-bit drivers "not" the 32-bit as used before. User SWI2 came up with the answer for that problem where the USB HD wasn't being found.

Above mentioned thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=336781

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I´m referring to using the latest HDM 12 BMB (version SP3 or 16240) to build a boot medium. This BMB can be used on Windows 7 or 8, and the resulting medium is a WinPE 4.0 (based on Windows 8 ), if it is built with WADK. The medium is x64 if built in a x64 computer, and it has drivers for USB 3.0.

It is possible that a medium built in this way doesn't recognize certain external disks connected to USB 3.0 ports, but this may be a problem with the external disk (for example, problems with WD MyPassport disks have been reported).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The BMB from Build 16240 found and worked with the 500GB USB3 My Passport connected to a Vantec UGT-PC312 card which shows in Device Manager as Renesas not NEC.

One thing I did find is that if you change USB media (plugged in a Nexstar CX after the Passport) then rebooting WinPE is necessary. I got I/O errors when it tried to recognize the newly plugged USB3 drive and sometimes it wouldn't show up in the wizard as a destination but was present at the first screen in the backup wizard showing all the drives.

9. Paragon_Matt

Ok, Let me try to clarify guys, forgive me for this but the version I use is a WinPE 3.0 which is based off a Win7 x86 build currently, depending on which version of WAIK or OPK that you use, will determine which driver is required. I know that the WinPE 4.0 which is based off Windows 8 is a x64 environment and requires x64 based drivers for Windows 8. I am hoping that clarifies it, forgive my lack of clarification.

10. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

Sorry, this is confusing. Support told me: “Latest build 10.1.19.16240 is now able to create both 32-bit and 64-bit WInPE depending on the sources system where it was created. Please use 64-bit drivers (the same as in your Windows) to inject in WinPE or to load them directly from WinPE.” That is exactly what SIW2 told in the thread referenced by wptski; post #45 tells how I succeeded. Also GizmoGorilla is running Win7x64.

@GizmoGorilla: You can use the Device Manager to find what USB controllers your computer needs. If your computer uses the Renesas drivers, they can be downloaded here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19880. At http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ you'll find the option “Intel Driver Update Utility: Automatically scan your system for up-to-date drivers and install them quickly.”

11. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

The new option gave me BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).

I can hardly recommend this utility!

12. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I was going to ask John Doe Genius of his experience with sites like that. I have had to repair several PCs for friends who did a "Check for new drivers and update" from sites. I personally search out drivers from the manufacturer of the device. If I used Dell, HP etc systems I'd go there first.

13. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.