external to internal, crypted drive corruption

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Monkee, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Monkee

Monkee Registered Member

Hi,

I had an encrypted drive with Truecrypt on an external USB 3.0 drive (WD My Book) and I decided to put the drive into my computer case, connected via SATA. Bad idea...

Then the drive (I'm not talking about the mounted volume) didn't appear in Explorer anymore. In disk management (Windows 7), it said the drive wasn't initialized but I didn't do it. Truecrypt was also able to see my disk, so I tried to mount the drive anyway, but it said the password was wrong or the drive corrupted.

So I restored the volume header with Truecrypt and then I could mount the volume. Then it appeared in Explorer (the mounted volume, not the drive) but when trying to browse it, Explorer said the volume wasn't accessible or corrupted.

Then I decided to step back and to reconnect the drive in USB 3.0, but Windows still see it as "non initialized". I had to restore the volume header once again because Truecrypt said the password was wrong again. But the mounted volume is still "not accessible or corrupted". And the drive don't show up anymore in the explorer.

I'm very sad and angry, I don't know what happened. I'd like to recover my drive, even partially cause I had a lot of personal data on it (it's a 2TB and it was almost full), such as photos or recordings (I make music). But I don't understand how to use programs like testdisk since it's a crypted drive. And since Explorer don't show the drive anymore, I don't know what should I do on the drive or on the mounted volume. I'd be very thankfull to anyone who helps me.

Best regards.

2. redcell

redcell Registered Member

I've experienced the same thing with Truecrypt not too long ago; one as whole encrypted disk and another as encrypted container. 3 occasions in total that password simply failed to work anymore. But lucky for me I have backups.

I don't use Truecrypt now. I still use another 2 different encryption programs which had no issue since beginning. Don't be surprised that older encryption programs still work wonders and even much better than those those constantly in the spotlight.

As always, brute force will never be as powerful as deception.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.