External PC Scan

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by daniel952, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel952

daniel952 Registered Member

How should I go about doing an external PC scan of my ports (open or closed), and for vulnerabilities? Is doing the scan online from PC Flank the same as doing it using another PC? Which is better, and what will I need to connect the PCs together?
    I'm under the impression that all I would need is a single cable, but am unsure of what settings would be needed on each PC to ensure that they talk to one another. I would need to know the best software to accomplish this task. Could someone give a detailed answer please.

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

oops. Dern tab browsing. :rolleyes: Wrong forum and not enough sleep. :oops:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  3. daniel952

daniel952 Registered Member

Does anyone know how to do what I have asked? A link or search term that brings up good results. I have looked, and have posted to other forums but have received nothing useful.

Thanks.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Sorry about my first post...or lack of. Let me try again.

If you are connected to the Internet via high-speed then all most scan will see is the IP of the modem and its` open ports, not your PC. Doing a scan from one PC to another within a LAN will show the being tested PCs IP, and if a software firewall is not employed and properly configured will show open ports.

A single ethernet cable, a NIC on each PC, and if you are running XP on at least on of the PCs then the Internet Connection Wizard can do the rest.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Scanning between 2 PC`s can give you better options for the type of scans to make. A good tool for this is nmap. You will need to take some time to check out the help files.

For checking firewalls and its ability to filter, you can use a packet creation program. 2 examples (both are free):-
    Packet Excalibur
    Colasoft packet builder

For your PC setup\connection, if you dont have a router, then use a cable as mentioned by "ThunderZ". You can just place a fixed IP in both PC`s to place them on the same network (example: 192.168.1.100 in one PC and 192.168.1.200 in the other)

6. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

here read up an article I wrote to support my client base:

Are you sure you're firewall is protecting you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.