external media issues have been ignored

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chasster123, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chasster123

chasster123 Registered Member

:mad: Media issues with True Image are still active and have been over the last two major releases.

I just tested V8-build 800 and it runs well to disk but absolutely WORTHLESS to CD/DVD.

If the data can't be moved to/fro external media much less created on removable media the ability of using the software is USELESS.

The entire point of this is to be able to create backup images for restoration purposes.

I have spend months with the inappropriate responses from Acronis and a dozen vendors of DVD (+&- media) and am still without a satisfactory SINGLE process of creating a non-disk drive image that is usable.

I'm tired of the lost time and headache.

I'm moving on to BackUp MyPC 2005 as the history of this product is that it is Veritas's Workstation backup software that has added additional media types to it.

GOOD BYE.

Charles Sterling
    <removed>/email]

[I][COLOR=Red][SIZE=1]Email address removed to prevent havesting-Ron[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe what your problem is? We will certainly help you with the solution. Also please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your first letter to Acronis Support Team (you said you were contacting us already). I will investigate the problem described there as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Charles, how do you reconcile this statement with the one made in your thread titled <Build 786 looks very promissing> in which you said you created an image across two DVD+RWs o_O. There's no follow-up to say it wasn't successful.

Regards

4. chasster123

chasster123 Registered Member

Making an image and storing it on any disk media is no problem.
    The problem is getting images OFF the original disk partition - ONTO removable DVD/CD media - and to be able to use this copy w/o the image showing an error during your image check.

For intranet puposes - good product.
    For external - archive - offsite - support or system recreation the data becomes unusable as soon as it is transferred to removable media.

I've demonstrated this with several software packages, several computers, serveral CD/DVD drives, an array of CD/DVD media types/manufacturers and the results are always the same - image on removable media gets error by your own image checking program.

5. Acronis Support

Hello chasster123,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We also strongly recommend you to update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 826 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product.

Please let me know, what error message do you get when you try to create the image on CD/DVD? Also please tell me your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  6. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

Irina,

This is the fourth or fifth recent thread complaining about the same problem:

TrueImage 8 generates erroneous messages when burning to or restoring from CD-R's.

I find it preposterous that your posted question asks the user what the error message is.

For God's sake will you and Ilya take a minute to refresh your memories and read the numerous and lengthy posts about your product generating erroneous messages when burning to and restoring from CD's? Ilya has repeatedly posted that you are aware of the problem and are "working on a solution".

Although I still love what TrueImage 8 is SUPPOSED to do and although I use it successfully MOST of the time I am becoming increasingly DISAPPOINTED in all the rough edges and bugs that go unfixed as build after build are released. A specific case in point is the erroneous CD-R messages discussed here and elsewhere.

Because of your company's apparent poor internal communications and because of your company's continued failure to correct so many basic functional problems, I have ceased recommending TrueImage 8 to anyone else.

I will continue to use it for my narrowly defined needs while employing all the workarounds necessary to allow successful completion of simple tasks.

I am sorry to admit that I feel as though my TrueImage 8 should be labeled as a BETA product and definitely not a finshed, marketable program.

Please get your **** together before it's too late!

7. Acronis Support

Hello iflyprivate,

I am really sorry for my thoughtlessness in my post. And please accept my apologies for all the inconveniences.

We work with rule that we have to test each of our products in our Testing Lab but, obviously, we cannot test every product on every hardware (and every hardware combination) that exists in the world. If we encounter some problem in our Testing Lab with the particular build it is NEVER released until the problem is solved. If the problem appears we will try to investigate and resolve it.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. iflyprivate

Irina,

Thanks for your reply.

I and many others have notified Acronis that TrueImage 8 generates erroneous and misleading messages whenever one tries to create a CD-R backup or when restoring an image from CD-R's, especially when it's time to switch CD discs in a set.

We, who have reported this problem, use different types of computers but I use all Dell's. I find it very hard to agree that your engineers actually tested the CD-R backup/restore functions before they released builds 796, 800 and 826. All three builds generate the same erroneous and misleading 'swap CD' messages.

I don't believe there is anything so unique about my Dell's (running XP Pro) that would cause TrueImage 8 to generate these erroneous and misleading messages nor do I see anything unusual in the hardware platforms others are using when they experience the same trouble while trying to back up to CD's.

In other words, Acronis' statement that they tested TrueImage 8's CD-R functions in builds 796, 800 and 826 before release is just not believeable. Otherwise, they would have found the erroneous error messages and fixed the problem three builds ago.

9. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

These "erroneous" messages when it's time to switch CD's have been present at least since True Image Deluxe (version 5, I believe). I also can't understand why a more informative message like "Please insert CD 2..." is not displayed. It's not a major problem admittedly since once you know what to expect then you simply change CD's at this stage, however a fix would take all of about 5 minutes to implement.

Please make the messages more informative when a change of CD is required during image creation/restoration.

10. Acronis Support

Hello all,

We have reporduced the problem and our Development Team is currently working on it. We expect the problem to be solved soon and be available on your personal update page.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. iflyprivate

Thank you, Ilya, for your update.

We all look forward to the new, improved version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.