External Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kreidicp, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreidicp

kreidicp Registered Member

Some guru help needed please.
    Just bought Maxtor 3100 80GB Personal Storage Ext HD USB 2.0
    It comes pre-formatted with FAT 32 .
    In order to save a True Image 7 GB file to it ( FAT 32 max size 4 GB I believe ) , do I need to blank this disc somehow or re-format it to NTFS ?
    Don't particularly wish to use Ext HD for anything else than True Image back-ups.
    Many thanks in advance for any help
    ken
    Dell4400 Desktop , using XP SP2 Home with NTFS on Primary Drive

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just my personal opinion, but I would reformat to NTFS. I image with TI 8 and store that an NTFS partition, but I also image with Ghost 2003 and that I store an an FAT32 partition. Choice is based on how the cd/floppy recovery stuff works.

Pete

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ken

No need to reformat. Just create a new image direct to the external HD and choose to split the image "Automatically" when prompted in the "Create Image Wizard". You should then end up with a 4GB and a 3GB .tib file. Assuming you called the new image BackupC.tib, the two files will be named BackupC1.tib and BackupC2.tib. When subsequently restoring the image just select one of these .tib files (it doesn't matter which one).

If you later want to overwrite your image with a new "full" one then you must name the new image "BackupC.tib" again and not merely choose to overwrite "BackupC1.tib". See this <thread> for the reason why.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.