External Firewire HD not recognized

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MrDada, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

After using bootable CD, I'm unable to access this drive. I emailed support and was suggested to type "quiet acpi=off noapic" in the boot menu. Unfortunately, this didn't work. Support says Firewire and USB drives are supported in Acronis Bootable Media. I hope there's a way to make this work. After many different attempts, copying full backup to DVD hasn't worked.

The full backup to the firewire drive verified perfectly. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

2. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

I wanted to add the error screen that appears after full standalone starts:

"Failed to read from the sector 218.129.509 of the hard disk 2"

3. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

try it with the usb hook up....if you have usb2, you shouldn't have any speed difference, and the usb connection may work for you.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MrDada,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from Acronis Support Team? We will look through the correspondence and see what more can be done regarding this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

Greetings Alexey

The case number is Acronis #568942.Thanks.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello MrDada,

A fair bit of overlap here with your previous thread titled <Standalone & USB External Drive>. Perhaps one of our Moderators could consider merging the two?

Regards

7. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

Hi Menorcamen

That's a good idea to merge the two. Also, thanks for your informative posts in this forum.

Support requested I send a sysinfo.txt to help solve my problem. One way to do this was using a USB flash drive. I purchased this and within Windows found it to be working. I have not been able to create this file. The instructions by support were as follows.

Step 1. Use boot CD>F11>delete "quiet">load full version>after # prompt>connect USB flash drive. After this, the flash drive was recognized and I was encouraged.

Step 2. Enter the following commands.

1. cat /proc/partitions
    2. mkdir /mnt/tmp
    3. mount -t auto /devfs/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lnu0/disk /mnt/tmp
    4. mkdir /mnt/tmp/sysinfo
    5. ls /mnt/tmp
    6. sysinfo > /mnt/tmp/sysinfo/sysinfo.txt
    7. umount /mnt/tmp

I seem to be having problems with commands 3 and 7. The spacing in command 3 doesn't seem right. Command 7 doesn't seem to work.

I tried different variations but have not had any success. When I checked the USB flash drive, there wasn't a sysinfo file created.

Any help?

8. Menorcaman

Hi again MrDada,

Unless you made a mistake typing in Step 2 Line 3 above, that command should have been:

mount -t auto /devfs/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /mnt/tmp

More info and an explanation of the various commands are contained in this <previous Acronis Support reply>.

Regards

9. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

Thanks

The "lun0" was a typo. The "disk" was my mistake. I checked the support email and it said "disc" which I'm sure I tried. I try the whole thing again. Is there a space between "disc" and the next entry? I'll check the link when I can.

10. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

I checked out the link. There is one thing I'm not sure about. It was after the last command "umount /mnt/tmp" and boot into Windows. This is something I don't understand. At this point, all I'm looking at is a black screen with all the command info and other entries created by the software. How do I boot into Windows from here. Do I type "exit", remove boot CD, and then boot into Windows? Or is there another procedure I'm missing?

Thanks...

11. Menorcaman

No need to type "exit" as that would take you into TI. Just remove the rescue CD and use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys or your Reset button to reboot into Windows. Hopefully you will find that the sysinfo.txt was written to your flash drive this time.

Regards

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  12. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

The USB flash drive did not mount. A sysinfo file was not created. However, more importantly, I was able to create and copy backup files with the USB flash drive while using Acronis boot mode. I'm rethinking my approach.

BTW, thanks for the reboot tip!

13. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

I purchased an Edge DiskGo! 80 gig USB 2.0 which so far is working great. The drive works both in Windows and Acronis Boot mode. Full backup copied and verified perfectly. I think this drive has solved all the issues I was having with my external firewire drive.

The USB drive uses the FAT32 file system. I noticed that the full backup is divided into four files. There are three 4 gig files (approximately) and the remainder in the fourth. Is this OK? If this is proper, then I think I've created an excellent Acronis solution for my laptop.

BTW, PCConnectioin is selling this drive for $45.00 for a limited time.

14. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

It's a multivolume full backup.

15. Menorcaman

FAT 32 formatted drives have a 4GB max file size limitation so what you're seeing is perfectly normal. If you don't want TI to automatically split the image into 4GB chunks then just reformat the external drive as NTFS. This would probably make it a little easier to identify different Full and Incremental/Differential images.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.