external drive - clarification Please

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Shankle, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Western Digital external
    Puter A - T3400 - Vista
    Puter B- GX280 - XP PRO

Formatted external to ntfs
    Created 2 folders on external (T3400, GX280)
    Backed up Puter B using TI 9.0
    It asked what drive to put it on but did NOT ask what
    folder to put it in. Anyway it created a file/folder bu052108gx280. Then I deleted folder GX280 as there was nothing in it.

NOW, if I backup from Puter A using TI 11.0
    will it overwrite bu052108gx280? It certainly won't put
    it in the folder T3400.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You must select the specific folder from the directory tree when it is time to assign the desired location. TrueImage allows you to practice all the way up to the Proceed button. Click Cancel instead of Proceed when practicing. Suggest you do a few practice runs. TI also enables you to create new folders from the same screen. Check the icon about the directory tree.

3. Shankle

Thank you very much GroverH.
    Both Puters now backed up on the external drive and my
    was it fast. Going from DVDs to the external hard drive cut
    the time by 3/4.
    My modus operendi now is to backup weekly on the external
    drive and once a month on DVDs so I can place them in a bank vault.

4. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

You need to boot your system from the Rescue CD and see whether it can see both the drive containing the image and the drive to which you would want it restored, as this is where ATI falls down for so many ppl. You should also validate your backup archive.

Short of doing a 'for real' restore this is as close as you can get to proving it will restore successfully should you need it to do so.

5. Shankle

Thank you Earthling for you reply.
    Yes I ALWAYS validate the backup.
    I ran the recovery on both Puters to check to see I could identify the external drive and the C drive and they are fine.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Perhaps this is what you did but if not, I would suggest you boot from the Rescue CD and simulate performing a restore and do the simulation all the way until you reach the PROCEED or CANCEL screen. There you can cancel.

Would also suggest you mount the backup and copy a couple files from the backup into a test folder.

If you have the money to spare, many people have a second external drive and they alternate between them. This gives you a little more safety cushion if something happens to the first external drive. It does not have to be huge in capacity.

7. Shankle

Thank you GroverH for your suggestions.

I put in the Recovery CD and ran it to the Proceed and then
    cancelled it. Everything worked fine.

I then created a test folder on the C drive and then copied an entire folder from the External drive to it. Again everything was fine.

I then picked 1 file from the External drive (not a folder) and tried to copy it to the C drive. Got Access Denied. Also tried dragging it to the C drive and again Access Denied.
    Still scatching head on this last one....

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shankle,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

The most common reason why you might run into this error message, even if you are using a computer with the same user name, is that the user profile and permissions could be different from those on your original system. Different permissions and profiles might make you unable to view certain files and/or folders.

There are two ways to work around such a situation:
    1) You can restore just the folders you need by running the Acronis True Image Recovery Wizard and selecting the Restore specified files or folders option.
    2) You can restore the image archive (at least the necessary partition) and take ownership over the files and/or folders you need in your new profile and permissions. You then will be able to access, view and change these files and/or folders.

Microsoft provides instructions on how to take ownership over the files and/or folders you need in your new profile and permissions. You can find them in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 308421.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.