External drive and FD-ISR problem

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by stapp, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have had 3 archives on an external drive for a couple of years now, updating them at least once a week.

On that external drive I also have a Karens Replicator backup of 'my docs' These have existed happily together until this morning.

Occasionally I have had to change the drive letter if I have had other things plugged in but it hasn't happened too often, and it's easy to change the archive location in FD-ISR anyway.

This morning when I plugged in the external and fired up Karen I noticed the drive letter was one out so I changed it in Karens settings and pressed the 'my backup job' button. I watched in fascinated horror as it deleted everything on the drive at the speed of light and laid on a fresh backup to the drive of 'my docs'

My FD-archives are gone and it won't recognise the drive no matter how hard I try. Windows sees it, Karen sees it, I can see it, but FD-ISR cannot or won't.

Would formatting the external help? Uninstalling it in device manager perhaps?

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi stapp,

Is the drive formatted as NTFS or FAT32?
    What do you mean FD-ISR does not see the drive?... from the options menu?

Try to use the "export" to archive feature of FD-ISR.

Panagiotis

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It is NTFS.

When I plug in the external and open FD-ISR I usually see my archives listed underneath secondary.

Also there is nothing listed under archived snapshots.

FD-just doesn't see that I have the external plugged in. I have checked the drive letters etc but nothing seems to work.

What does export snapshot do, copy primary to an external of your choice?

Attached Files:

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You must go at Tools->Options->Archives and check the location of the archives.

Under Tools-> Export you can copy the selected snapshot to a new archive outside the default archive location. It is very usufull since it gives you the ability to split the archive in multiple parts and store it in cds/dvds/etc. It works just like the normal archives with the only difference that those are not listed in the FD-ISR menu.

Panagiotis

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It is sorted :)

Since I first installed FD a couple of years ago and made an archive on that very first day, I have never seen the FD user interface when it had no archives made.

Also when I plugged in the external it showed no archives because there were none as Karen's Replicator deleted them and then re-backed up all it's own jobs.

I had expected that FD would show the external drive listed even with no archives, because I knew no better.

I changed the drive letter of the external through disk management, and then thought ''why not just try making an archive to the drive and see what happens?''

So I did, and it is made, and it shows in FD when it is plugged in :) :)

However I am now considering what to do about Karens Rep. The backup job is set up for the old drive assigned letter and I know from what happened this morning that Karens seem to see the change of drive letter in it's settings as a go ahead to wipe out my FD archives.

Thank you pandlouk for your interest in my post :)

6. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Stapp,
    I haven't used Karen's Replicator but I just read the current features list and it looks like you can configure it to safely synchronize without wiping the archives.

I use NTI's Shadow which allows me to define one or more 'jobs' to synchronize files and folders. But synchronize means that I supply a source folder, or folders, and a target drive or folder on a different drive. Example: I specify that I want g:\synch to be synchronized to h: and Shadow produces h:\synch as an exact duplicate of g:\synch.
    There are other settings, but there's nothing to wipe out an entire drive so that if in the example I had 2 folders, synch and archives, archives would be safe from destruction. Then, if drive letters got switched, the worst that would happen would be that 2 drives (the old h: and the new h: ) have synch on them. You'd still have to either go into Disk Management and reletter the drives or change the FD-ISR archive drive letter.
    There are probably other synchronizing apps as well. The key is to use one that only modifies the contents of the named folder without wiping the entire drive (Shadow won't accept a definition to synchronize g: and h:, at least 1 folder must be specified on g: as defined above)

Good luck

Jim

Glad that WSC (or SCW) is back for you :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stapp

I use AJCSoftwares, sync and have never had an issue, but I am careful to just to it with specified folders.

I would long and hard to see if you can identify what you did wrong. If not, Karen's would go.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Well I looked hard and long and have found out what happened.

When I went to change the drive letter for the backup in Karen's setting I chose browse to go to the new drive letter. Unfortunatly I didn't also specify to go to the folder that I use for backups on that drive as well. So Karen thought it was a new backup to a new drive and wiped it for me :)

My fault entirely but a lesson learnt, make sure the backup is not only to the right drive but also the right folder.

Both Karen and FD-ISR are working fine together again.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stapp

I discovered using syncing can be a dangerous thing if not careful. I use the AJC software to sync between two machines. Originally I used it in full sync where it makes stuff the same, using the latest time/dates. I discovered that can be a real disaster.

Now I use it like FDISR works. It makes the target look like the source, but doesn't do a two way sync.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.