extendia problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Guest

hi hope someone can help.
    been useing single engine version for 2 days.i am very impressed with it apart from it slowing down my computer. this is most noticeable when i open internet explorer ,takeing about 6 sec to load. i have searched the net and found some advice that has solved the problem but was wondering if i have comprimised my security .
    in monitor options i have gone into exceptions and added program files from c;directry also i have unchecked ,check packed files.
    after following this advise i see no system slowdown, but am i still secure.
    i have an athlon 2400 and 512 ram .
    meant to have gold support but no reply to e mails.
    have used kav in the past with no system slowdown

2. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

To Waters,
    I am a user of AVK Pro and exclude c:\proram files also. My understanding is viru
    does not normally reside in this folder, but to insure against this, I run a scheduled scan daily of this folder and others. This can be scheduled to run while you sleep etc.
    Extendia tech support is pathetic at best and replies to e-mails are worse. When they do reply, it is something like you would find in a trouble shooting guide.
    Very good AV, and good price but lousy support. When my subscription ends I will not be renewing.
    Check out MKS. Very good AV lite on resources and 2005 is about to come out.
    I am using it now on my main box and love it.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I sincerelly hope you will not get into any probs here... there are a lot of other things you can do just to speed things up: disable like 50 % of all background processes our OS doesn't need and it won't slow things down.

I was a user of kav pro too (and now upgraded to gdata) but it didn't slow my P3 down. it used 13mb in mem and was very pleased with the reaction time of everthing in fact.

but I disabled a lot of processes just because of this. and it helped.

I do think you are compromising your system now. that is just my thinking here: but if you practice safe hex it could be OK.

try the process thing I guess it will work...

bye

you find a lot of info on which processes you can turn of here (ps I disabled 15 processes and I am behind a router and still works flawlessly)

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

4. ?waters

?waters Guest

thanks for replys.
    would i have this problem with duel scanner extendia and useing other as monitor orsooner than comprimise security what about useing avg as monitor and kav as demand scanner.
    shame because its just opening internet where the big slow down is.
    views would be appreciated

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

. You should be safe with that . You might find that you can keep a check in packed files . and just uncheck email archives ,especially if you already have the email pluggin activated for all your emails . keep C:/program in exclusion as you do .
    Their email response has ,for me at least, been always within 24 hrs. They may be closed for support over the weekends though.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  6. ?waters

?waters Guest

uninstalled extendia and installed panda platinum 7.
    computer is now very fast. still didnt recieve any reply from extendia .thanks for responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.