Extendia AVK and GData AVK

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Gloomy Kestrel, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gloomy Kestrel

The Gloomy Kestrel Registered Member

Hi,

Can someone explains me what's the difference between those two software?

And, now about Extendia AVK :

1/ What is the most current version number?
    2/ Do this software update itself at a regular basis, or only the virus signature is updated? Many software can update both the database signature and the engine, but I have not seen any option to update the software itself in extendia AVK. Only a button to update the virus signature database.

Thanks

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Boomerang software are the American/Canadian distributors of AVK ( Pro ) produced by GData. They sell the 'older' version of AVK Pro and brand it as eXtendia AVK.

The main differences between the two are that the present eXtendia AVK Pro uses a Kaspersky and a RAV engine, while the recent GData uses a Kaspersky engine and a BitDefender Engine. Overall, eXtendia uses an 'older' GData engine. Further, eXtendia offers a single-engined version- ( KAV engine ) while GData do not.

The eXtendia AVK Pro is slightly lighter on resource/memory usage and probably better on total malware detection. However, sometime (soon?) eXtendia will have to switch over to the BitDefender engine to replace RAV, depending upon what agreement GData has with Microsoft, who took over RAV last year. In a worst case scenario, eXtendia will not be able to update the RAV definitions and users will not be able to automatically upgrade to the BitDefender engine.

The present version number in eXtendia AVK Pro is v 11.04; KAV engine-AVK 14.0.1376, while the RAV engine is - RAV 12.0.362. While in GData AVK, the engine is up to version 12.

Unfortunately with the eXtendia AVK Pro you can only obtain signature updates, while with the GData version you can also obtain engine updates. Probably one reason why the eXtendia seems 'reasonably' priced for a double-engined AV at $30. The eXtendia single-engine version may therefore be seen as a better short-term bargain at $10

Overall, compared to eXtendia, the GData version may be the much better long term choice, but take into account that this is the more expensive option, particularly if you want gold support for the daily updates. However, hopefully support is much better than that offered by Boomerang Software!!

Some recent threads here;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=33597&highlight=Extendia Antivirus

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=34229&highlight=Extendia Antivirus

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=21073&highlight=Extendia Antivirus

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11093&highlight=Extendia Antivirus

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8796&highlight=Extendia Antivirus

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I am licenced with both AV's because in my opinion they are the best. OK extendia uses less recources but I feel better with Gdata. Their is a comparision between the two in Rokop tests which gdata came better then Extendia. two weeks ago I received a complete software update of 3.3 mb. and everything works quite faster. still with both engines (kav and btd) 20mb in mem and extendia with both (6mb) but like I said, I feel better with Gdata. their updates are practically daily. three times a week a great one, and every day a 50 kb small ones.
    their support is good and received many thanx for samples

4. The Gloomy Kestrel

Thanks for those informations.
    Is there exist an english version of GData AVK? Or Just a german one?
    Or is there a patch to have GData AVK in english?

Thanks

5. Blackcat

6. The Gloomy Kestrel

And is new GData AVK version really lighter in memory and lighter in resources than Kaspersky 5?

And is the detect rate really better than Kaspersky 5 one?

My NOD32 license is nearly finished so I'm studying AV available...

7. Blackcat

Have a look here; http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693

Looks like not much difference in the system footprint between KAV 5 and GData AVK. But I would think that you would need a fairly fast computer to run the 2 engines together in the on-access monitor of AVK Pro. In contrast, the KAV 5 monitor is very stable and runs without any slowdown on one of my computers here, which is an ancient 5-year-old box.

Further, if you look at the results in the Table above you will see that the detection rate of the two is fairly similar, on THIS particular test-bed of malware.

Your best bet now is to trial some AV's that you are interested in and choose the one that seems to suit YOUR system the best.

Good luck.

8. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

Speaking purely from personal experience I found the following

Extendia AVK - Purchased this as no trial version available. Had an enormous hit on my system, to the extent that IE took about 10 seconds to open. Everything else seemed a LOT slower too. Had an e-mail dialogue with Boomerang tech support to try to sort out the issue but nothing worked and after about 2 weeks of messing around with it, during which time I even did a complete reformat and reinstall, but still with no joy, I uninstalled it. Unfortunately Boomerang do not do refunds so I wasted my money.

GDATA AVK - Tried the trial version. It ran pretty well on my system, FAR better than Extendia. Only tried it for about 1 day (because the trial version won't update and I feel uneasy running an AV with outdated defs). Overall impression was that it was a solid and stable product.

I actually ended up getting KAV5 Personal, which runs very light indeed on my 'puter and I back it up with Bitdefender free (on demand only).

I run a AMD Athlon 2400+ PC with I Gb RAM.

Good luck

Steve

9. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I second Blackcat.... I'm not sure there is a big benefit with GDATA AVK since the detection rates are pretty much the same as KAV 5.

GDATA and KAV 5 reviewed below... chart also shows the impact on the test system.

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693

Couple things...

In addition to the application and its performance... the other thing to consider is support. KAV support has to be one of the best I've come across. GDATA support sucks, plain and simple. You actually have to pay to get more responsive support. Not worth it IMO.

KAV 5 is a decent app, has a couple minor issues that will be fixed in the next Maintenance Pack.

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Taz,

Can you be a bit more specific about this?

Gerard

11. Bink

Bink Registered Member

I agree with tazdevl. The support stinks! Great product (AVK 2004 Pro), poor support.

My PC with AVK 2004 Pro on it had to be rebuilt. However, after installing AVK again, I am unable to register the software again (to receive updates) as their server states that I have ALREADY registered the software. Have sent 5 emails (3 to the "hotline" email address) asking how I re-register my copy, (or reset the "register" flag) and I have yet to receive a reply from any of them!! I've been waiting for well over 10 days too!

Does anyone here know the answer to my question?

Thanks

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

If you have the original user name and password, you can enter those in the appropriate fields, and it should work fine. Don't even mess with reregistering it, because you will get the error you mention.

Good luck. ;)

13. Bink

Bink Registered Member

OK, thanks JimIT. I will give it a try.

Cheers,

14. Bink

Bink Registered Member

OK, have entered my Username and Password, but when I try and update the def files, it comes back with "Invalid Access Data"

15. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hmm.

Okay. I didn't have that problem here, but I guess it was worth a try. Hopefully someone from GDATA will get back with you soon.
    :doubt:

16. tazdevl

Unlike eXtendia, Gold support must be paid for with GDATA. So more frequent updates and more responsive support must be paid for outside of the cost of the product. I've sent a couple emails in, no response. That's just my experience and opinion. If you search around, you'll see its fairly consistent. Maybe if your deutsch is good it might help things out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  17. Blackcat

The install/uninstall cycle will work again and again but the trick is that when you uninstall make sure you block the message with your firewall that tries to go back to GData/eXtendia telling them you are uninstalling the program. If you do not, then as you found you cannot use AVK for a second time.

The ONLY way round this is to contact their support for a NEW user name/password. BUT if support do not reply and there is NO refund policy then you are in a catch22 situation. Sorry I cannot be of more help but Boomerang Software are known for their poor support.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=34229

18. Bink

Bink Registered Member

Thanks for all your help guys. All I can say is GData have lost a customer. No point in having an excellent A/V product if you cannot support it for your end users who don't pay for the Gold Support! And in my case, no point in using an A/V product that cannot update it's def files.

My local PC World has a faster technical support dept than GData!!

Cheers

19. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

I´m having problems using both extendia AVK and KAV 5 Personal, trying to check my OE accounts. Simply check doesn´t work, gets blocked.
    KAV support told me the next:

" It seems the reason of the problem is close connection between the receiving e-mail messages and the Kaspersky AV checking.
    In order to solve the situation we recommend you to extend the timeout of server connecting in your E-mail client. "

Well, this seems not to solved my problem, so any advice would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

backfolder.-

20. Blackcat

Are you using BOTH e-mail scanners at the SAME time :doubt: ?

21. Joerg

Joerg Guest

GData support tends not to answer e-mails, so you have to call the hotline directly (don't know if they can speak english).

22. Blackcat

I assume GData are a SMALL company and so do not have the necessary manpower to offer adequate support. However, unless they want to stay concentrated only on the German market, better support is needed for the International market and for expansion.

Although a distributor has been appointed for the overseas market - Boomerang software- recent threads here suggest that this arrangement has not gone well, with no demo version available, no refund policy and very little support.

Overall, eXtendia AVK may have excellent malware protection but many people have become wary/angry at the lack of support offered, as judged by forum threads both here and elsewhere. This 'bad' reputation will eventually reflect poorly on the parent company. This is a shame as the GData product is an excellent AV; http://www.wilders.org/anti_viruses.htm

As most people ( both individual and corporate ) view fast and helpful support as essential for an AV program, sometime in the future GData need to decide their future priorities and helpfully GOOD support is top of their list!

Has anyone pointed GData to any of these threads?

23. tazdevl

backfolder, as Blackcat is hinting, that would qualify as a no-no.

24. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

25. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

Nope, only AVK was active. When trying to check for email it launch another service, but it seems to do nothing. I´ve had this problem also with KAV5 Personal (trial), without having eXtendia AVK yet installed.

Thanks again...

backfolder.-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.