Expression Web 4

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Any of our members currently using Expression Web 4 to develop web sites? If so, I would appreciate hearing any comments regarding the good, bad and ugly. Obviously I am not a professional developer; the sites I have developed were all in Microsoft FrontPage. Wondering just how difficult to go from FrontPage to Expression Web. As always I will appreciate all comments and would thank you in advance.

John

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i think they stopped developing that software not too long ago...

anyway, if you played with Frontpage it's basically the same thing.
    but there are improvements which makes it better than Frontpage.

go ahead and try it, you'll feel right at home after Frontpage.

3. jpcummins

Moontan,

Thank you for replying to my post; you are correct Expression Web 4 is no longer being developed but Microsoft is offering the program free plus unless I am mistaken sp1 and sp2. Drawback is Expression Web 4 will no longer be supported but there appears to be a considerable number of help sites. Because of the size of the downloads I was hoping to get feedback such as you have given me before I download. Thanks again.

John

4. jpcummins

I downloaded and installed Expression Web 4; question now is did this include sp1 and sp2? Anyone know for sure? I was hoping to hear from forum members developing web sites with the program. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

John

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I used it for a while to do quick maintenance of an old website we had that was originally developed with Frontpage. Works well for that. It's an easy to use option if you want something that is as point and click as a tool for web development can be. Most of our current development staff prefers to work with something like PsPad or Notepad++ or even notepad as Frontpage/Expression generates a lot of code that nobody wants to maintain.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

maybe it' s beyond jp's capabilities.
    i know it is certainly too much for me, trying to build a website with Notepad. ;)

i gotta have a WYSIWYG interface, or at least a 'semi WYSIWYG' interface like Frontpage/Expression Web.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Some folks do and there is nothing wrong with that. Expression Web is a very good program for that situation. Just expect some whining and complaining if you have a more experienced coder look at it. If it's just you and nobody else is going to touch it then it's all good.

8. jpcummins

Apparently the Expression Web 4 (Free) that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Site contains Sp2a. So by that I am assuming Sp1 and Sp2 is contained in the program download. I believe I am going to enjoy working with the program but hope to continue to use FrontPage as it is just so easy to use. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.