Expression Web 4 and Server Requirements

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

The website I created and maintain is written in Microsoft FrontPage 2003. I have rewritten the website in Expression Web 4. I contacted the website provider and informed them of what I had done and asked if I would create any problems if I uploaded various pages to see what if any changes I would have to make to the pages. I was informed to contact the developer of Expression Web 4 to see if the servers versions of PHP, MYSQL and Apache were compatible. Since Expression Web 4 is no longer supported by Microsoft I have not tried to contact them.

My website providers server versions are as follows: 1) PHP 5.2.9 (cli) (built: Aug 8, 2013) Copyright 1997-2009 Zend Technologies with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.4.1, Copyright 2002-2013, by ionCube Ltd., and with Zend Optimizer v3.3.9, Copyright 1998-2009 by Zend Technologies. 2) MYSQL Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.32, for Linus (x86-64) using readline 5.1. 3) Apache, Server version: Apache/2.0/64 Server built: Aug 8, 2013 Cpanel::Ease::Apache v3.22.4 rev9999.

I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Can anyone decypher this and tell me if Expression Web 4 is compatible with my providers server.

I wish I were more knowledgeable so that I might make this gibberish clearer. As always I will appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

2. jpcummins

No network people out there?

John

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

John, the easiest way to find out is to create a separate folder (name it servertest) in the domain's root directory at the server, and upload the reworked contents of your Expression Web 4 site to it. Then, access the main page (example: domainname.com/servertest/index.html) via your browser's address bar, and go from there to see if everything works.

Because this separate folder is not linked to your present FrontPage site, no one, but you, can see the reworked contents.

Reading materials: Expression Web 4 Step by Step | Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web.

4. jpcummins

JRViejo,

Thanks so much for the information, I will be doing what you suggested in the next few days. The provider has been very good to our organization for the past few years and I definitely did not want to do anything to cause them any difficulties. I plan on changing operating systems from Microsoft XP Professional to Windows 7 Professional in the near future and I am afraid a lot of my older programs will no longer function. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of programs, either free (GAOTD) or at a reduced price (Bits du Jour). If after I change, FrontPage works fine then I have done a lot of work needlessly, I am just trying to cover my bases. The website I am involved with is military connected and our group is all volunteers. This forum has certainly been a godsend for me. Everyone is so helpful, I really wish I had more to offer than I do; unfortunately I just don't have the computer expertise to be able to. Again, thanks you so very much.

John

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

John, you're welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.