exposing netbios names COMODO FW

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by betauser2, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Hi all

Just installed comodo FW, the shieldsup test @ grc.com shows Comodo exposing netbios names,

How can I stop this?

thanks in advance

This is from shieldsup test,

(Info. has been edited out)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2006
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

What type of installation did you make? (was it the auto-allow programs,.. with no popups?). I think you may just need to take more control (tighter rules) for services/svchost.
    I did make an installation earlier to look at the latest beta, a scan was O.K. but I have netBIOS completely disabled

3. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

ok reinstalled as power user (which I'm not), and this time swithced from learn mode to turn on and removed all entries from componenet control.

cheers stem

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Did this help with the online (leak) scan?

On the installation of Comodo now, if selecting manual config, there are now a number of options, the main (new) one, being able to select the type of alert (local port / remote port IP etc). The higher to take this option (which gives more detailed alerts on connections) the tighter the rule is that is put in place.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I presumed (maybe incorrectly) that "betauser2" would require DHCP (connected directly to the internet for scan) and would need netBIOS enabled.

7. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Thanks for your help guys!

Yep, but very anoying though

I always have this disabled (and many more)

One thing I noticed is that after each reboot when I went to shieldsup bios names were displayed (first time). However when revisit the site later the bios names are no longer displayed (almost as though the firewall wakes up for the 2nd and later scans). just thought I let you guys know.

I'm a not comfortable with fiddling round ith firewall settings rules etc, and constant cpu spikes have made me give up on this firewall.

Again thanks for the help guys.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Good thing about my ISP is that they blocks NetBIOS and RPC requests on ISP level. So you can still use this as usual in your local network, while outer world won't even be able to get any NetBIOS info. Though i keep it disabled just i case.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

How do you connect to the internet, is this a direct connection or are you behind a router?.

10. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

dial up adsl usb modem ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.