Exported Snapshots

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by AJohn, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I am assuming you cannot recover from an exported snapshot?

Would it be somehow possible to manually recover from one?

Thinking about getting my friend to use FD-ISR, but they have limited hard drive space. I am assuming I would be better off getting them to use something like Acronis True Image or Ghost?

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I would say that it is better for them to go for ATI, Ghost or why not Image for windows, since FDISR isnt really intended as a backup solution and do require alot of hard drive space.
    You can recover to a point, but that means that you have to reinstall windows, install FDISR and then import a exported snapshot. But that is a slow way if you use it for backups.
    FDISR is for people who often need to recover imho.
    Another option would be Rollback RX since it doesnt need as much hard drive space as FDISR.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hello AJohn
    The space issue is a tricky thing :(

Afaik:If your exported snapshot (or archive) is on external disc, has to be imported back to be used as bootable option.

Not sure if external snapshot can just be copied back over another snapshot?

You could wipe main disc reinstall windows and fdisr then recover from external snapshot.

Maybe just get a portable usb HD for external storage?
    Snapshots could probably be stored online elsewhere, but still need the space to restore to

Part of my wishlist is bootable CD for just this.

If you cant get "ISR' working then check the Terabyte apps for imaging to CD, DVD or external HD

I bet you'll get an (more definitive) answer soon :)

regards.

Sorry another option gaining some traction is ShadowProtect:
    http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

Get them a bigger HD or external drive for Christmas
    What sukarof said....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes you can recover from an exported snapshot.
    The export function is normally designed for archiving snapshots on DVD or CD.
    If you need it back (=restore) you import the archived snapshot on DVD into a new snapshot.
    I've done this one time in practice as a TEST and it worked. It was an archived snapshot spreaded over several CD's and it was restored properly during the import. (FDISR asked nicely to insert the next CD).

I wouldn't recommend it, because it works rather slow at least with CD's.
    DVD's work probably faster, but I had no DVD's at that time.
    Nevertheless the import/export function WORKS PROPERLY in FDISR, but working with CD/DVD's for storing data or snapshots or images is too risky IMO.
    Get yourself an external harddisk for archiving snapshots and you won't need import/export anymore. :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thanks for all the answers. I should have mentioned I was already in the process of getting them an external USB Hard Drive. I wasn't sure if FD-ISR would recover from external in real time. I have FD-ISR running on my PC and it is awesome, but I have a lot of hard drive space internally.

I think I will try to clean up their hard drive enough that they can use FD-ISR for what it's meant and in addition to that get them some sort of whole disk backup software. I would appreciate feedback on the following factors of Whole Disk - External Backup - Recovery Software:

1. Reliability
    2. Ease of use
    3. Speed

I am hesistant to use Ghost because of bad history with Symantec, but am open to suggestions. ShadowProtect looks the most promising so far (thanks for the suggestion). I have used StorageCraft's ShadowUser and was really impressed with the quality when compared to it's competitors. True Image might be another solution?

6. ErikAlbert

In principle you can store archived snapshots (.arx) anywhere on your computer : internal harddisks, external harddisks, DVD's and CD's.

To make them VISIBLE in the main screen of FDISR under "Archived Snapshots", you have to store them under the folder mentioned in "Tools/Archives".
    Any archived snapshot that isn't stored in that folder won't be visible on the main screen of FDISR, unless you copy/paste them to that folder OR you change the folder in "Tools/Archives".

I can assure you that archiving and restoring of archived snapshot works properly, if you use an external harddisk.
    My archive folder in "Tools/Archives" = "E:\My FirstDefense-ISR\Archived Snapshots" and "E:" is my external harddisk.
    If my external harddisk is turned ON, my archived snapshots are visible in the main screen of FDISR.
    If my external harddisk is turned OFF, my archived snapshots are NOT visible in the main screen of FDISR.

If you want to keep your external harddisk off-line, you can't use your external harddisk to store your archived snapshots, unless you disable your internet connection for the period you need your external harddisk.
    Otherwise you have to store your archived snapshots on an internal harddisk.

I stored my archived snapshots on an external harddisk, because I use FDISR in another way.
    Normally you have a working snapshot and a rollback snapshot in FDISR.
    I have a recovery off-line snapshot and a working on-line (frozen) snapshot.
    Both have a total different software setup, so there is no relationship between both anymore and any copy/update between both is impossible otherwise they would destroy eachother.

I still can use FDISR in a normal way, if I use a second working on-line snapshot as a rollback snapshot, which I will do for testing softwares.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

If I archive to an external HD and I am not able to boot to windows, should the FD-ISR MBR screen see the external archive?

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You need to enter windows to recover so that wouldn't help you. It's very simple however.

Just format, re-install windows, install FD ISR, create a secondary snapshot and then bring that snapshot up to speed with your archive. Then boot into it and bring your primary up to date. Your done!.

9. ErikAlbert

In my case :
    1. I would recover an image, that contains Windows + FDISR, using my Acronis Rescue CD and external harddisk.
    2. After that I would restore my archived snapshots in the usual way.

It's the same like "Tobacco" suggested, there is no difference between a manual installation or installing Windows + FDISR via a restoration of an image. It is only easier if you restore.

Tobacco's suggestion is certainly necessary, if you don't have an image backup software.

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No it will not.
    The exported snapshot tool is for keeping copies of some config of your choice "somewhere else" to be reused when needed.

The exported snapshot can be copied back over any snapshot in the FDISR console.
    The archived snapshots serve a similar purpose but file extension us different and needs to be "recreated as snapshot" before use

To use FDISR as active "instant restore" needs a LOT of space, freezing snapshots requires even more!

If you split up your data and OS and just keep snapshots of OS partiton (C drive) within FDISR on the C partiton then space requirements are much less obviously.

I know you as a power user and much of this will be second nature to you :)

The other thing to note is that Multiple Fdisr snapshots will dramatically increase the size of any images with any of the imaging tools.

FYI check here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=120412
    And here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133283
    &
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=134504
    &
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=140271

Mostly it's just familiarity with the tool

Peter has been using Shadow Protect with success
    Erik_A has always had success with ATI
    My fave is Terabyte

Regards

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thanks for all the info guys :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.