Exploring an Image.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by badger, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badger

badger Registered Member

I am at a loss to understand what is happening here. I tried to explore a full backup Image made last week. When looking in Outlook Express, for instance,I am seeing email messages. that have only arrived today!I thought I should only see those that were there when I made the backup,which was last week..Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks. J
    Acronis TI11 Build 8053

2. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Thats a clever one. There is no way anything could have entered into the archive unless an incremental or differential has been done. I suppose if you mount the archive in read/write you could manually add things too but I can't think of any other way.
    I know it sounds daft but are you definitely looking in the right place?

3. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I just cannot understand what is happening. I tried again this am to explore the backup which I made on the 6th January. No Incrementals or differentials made since. The same thing happens.
    When I go to the Outlook Express folder.there are all the emails that have arrived since I made the backup.The one that arrived this am is there!!
    I follow the path C\ Documents & Setting.\Owner\ Local settings\apps\Identities. \nos,.\ Microsoft\Outlook Express. Just as you would if you were in Windows Explorer going down the tree.

I must be doing something wrong. I did the same thing looking into My Documents and the documents since making the Image are NOT there,as you would expect.
    I hope you will be able to help me. Your help is greatly appreciated. J

4. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

You are looking at the wrong drive. C is your active drive, but a mounted image is given a new drive letter. For example if your comp has a single hard disk partition C, and a single optical drive D, the mounted image would be given the drive letter E.

5. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

You are looking at the wrong drive. C is your active drive, but a mounted image is given a new drive letter. For example if your comp has a single hard disk partition C, and a single optical drive D, the mounted image would be given the drive letter E.

6. badger

badger Registered Member

EarthingThanks for your reply. When I said I was lokking in C drive I meant that I was looking in C drive in the mounted Image. In my case it was Drive H.

Sparkymachine I do not know if this is relevant. When I make an image of my emails using "Select Backup Type " in ATI and then explore this image , the emails are all there (say 27 E mails) BUT when I click to open any one of them,the folder is emplty. All very confusing to me. Hope you can help. Thanks. J

7. badger

badger Registered Member

Any further help please? I am completely lost with this. Thanks J

8. sparkymachine

I'm lost too, I've tried to recreate this using various backup types and looking into a full backup containing email folders that I did on 4th Jan. Nothing shows up anywhere that I wouldn't expect.

When you say the folder is empty, you lost me. I use Outlook Express and have my email folders on the D partition in a folder which is easier to access. So when I backup the D drive obviously all my emails are saved in that so I don't do a separate backup for emails only.

Could you move your email folder perhaps to a different partition and then see what happens when you explore current backups and make new ones or a new one.

9. badger

badger Registered Member

Sparkymachine
    Thank you so much for trying to help.
    I have just moved my Outlook Exprees folder to another internal drive and made a full image of that drive (there is nothing much on it) .I then sent an email to myself calling it test. When I explore this image or mount it. (it happens in both circumstances) the email" test" is there!. Yet it was not there when I made the image. I have tried going off line but this makes no difference.
    I do not understand what is happening.

With regard to the other problem I have re the empty folders.this only happens when I make a backup using the "Select backup type" ( where it has a list and you pick e-mails) When I explore this image Outlook Express opens showing all the folders ie inbox, sent etc. If I click on the inbox, for instance, it opens showing all individual folders named with the title of the email. But when I open one of these folders, it is empty. I have downloaded and printed the manual but must admit I do not understand chapter 5.2.4.
    I do appreciate all the help you have given me. Any further views please. J

10. Big Tom

Big Tom Registered Member

As even the latest mainboards and CPUs can not do miracles, there is an explanation for it. I assume that you have outlook to automatically download ne e-mails when it is being opened, so when you look at your backup, it will download the latest e-mails. it very likely stores the headers in memory and tries to write the rest to the file which very likely fails because you mounted it in "read only" mode. So, now you got the header in the overview but when clicking on it, outlook tries to read the rest off the hard disk (image) and of course the remaining information is missing there because it could not be written to disk.

Tom

11. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I am very sorry to say,I cannot understand all of what you are saying. (I am well past my sell-by date)
    I have Outlook Express set to automatically download emails when opened although in normal circumstances I use Mailwasher first.
    It would seem that when I explore the archive or mount the image and then navigate to my Outlook Express folder,then clicking on any one of the boxes shown opens Outlook Express, consequently letting me see all the current e-mails.
    I do not know why this happens or whether or not there are any backed up emails in the image.I would expect them to be there.

When I make a backup of my emails using the" select backup type" (where you get a list to choose from) and not a full backup Image then clicking on the folder does NOT open OutlookExpress but the folder is emply. This is a different issue and perhaps I should try and solve one at a time. Thanks again for your help.

12. Strangeman

Strangeman Registered Member

I would imagine that it's quite simply a case of when you click on the backed-up file, Outlook Express starts, but will be looking at your 'real' files, which it is programmed to do, and of course these will always be 'up to the minute'

13. badger

badger Registered Member

Yes, I am sure you are correct. Clicking on a box does appear to open Outlook Express. I do not quite understand why this should be. This being the case,how can I see if the emails have been backed up or for that matter how could I restore all or any of them ? Thank you so much for your help. J

14. Strangeman

You should see .dbx files corresponding to each folder which you normally see in Outlook Express, I would choose 'view details' from the menu at the top of your explorer window and see what the date is of each file, which will give you a hint as to when it was last used prior to backup. That would do for me, although I might be too trusting, of course.

15. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you so very much for your help. You have just about solved my problem. Brilliant!.
    In view details, as you say, I can see the .dxb files which correspomd only to the day I made the image. As I expected to do originally.There is only one thing now. I do not seem to be able to open or see any one of these emails. When I click to open, or Rt. click and select open (you only get a choice of open or copy) then again Outlook Express opens.If I view details again, the folder is empty.!! So I do not know how I would be able to restore one or all if required. Again I thank you for your help.J

16. badger

badger Registered Member

Strangeman Belay my last message. I have just restored an individual email using the restore process in AT11. Everything is working as I expected it would. I am sorry if it took me so long to get there.
    Thank you Strangman for your help and thank you everyone esle for their. help. J

17. sparkymachine

Glad you now got it sorted :thumb:

18. Strangeman

Glad to be of help - funnily enough I'm only 6 miles from Lincoln as the crow flies ...

19. sparkymachine

And I've been to Kings Lynn Speedway loads of times and must have passed by from the North. And i think i've spotted that crow practising its straight line flying :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.