"Explorer has encountered a problem..." - repeatedly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lynchknot, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I just can't find anything wrong. I ran several AV runs and find nothing wrong. I receive this message and if I close it, explorer restarts and I see the error message again in a never ending loop. If I don't close it, explorer does not crash but the message is always visible and dwwin.exe is present in Taskmanager. This also occurs in safe mode.

Has anyone experienced this in the past that may be able to help? Thanks.

[​IMG]

My wallpaper disappears as well and I see the "Active desktop" errror:

[​IMG]

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have you checked the event viewer to see what might be causing this?

3. lynchknot

Thanks BigC, I have no idea what this means

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  4. bigc73542

did you click on the help and info in event viewer? microsoft shows info from their knowledge base on that item. I have used it before and it is usually informative.

5. lynchknot

Well it hasn't helped me to understand what was wrong in the past and it's definitely not going to this time:

Attached Files:

6. bigc73542

sometimes just nothing goes right :doubt: are you able to do a repair install?

7. bigc73542

Or how about a sys restore

8. lynchknot

I dislike running repair and/or system restore as I do not learn anything. I ran scannow and that did not work. It looks like system restore is out of the question anyway as I see this in safe mode as well. I do have True Image but I usually reserve that for just prior to pulling my hair out of my head.

Attached Files:

9. bigc73542

It doesn't look like you are having any fun :( how long has it been doing this?

10. lynchknot

All day today - at least this guy knew what was wrong: (he could have "select all" from his folder and ctrl click what he wanted to keep though)
    Compared to my problem this is comedy!

11. bigc73542

Thats a good one ;)

12. lynchknot

Now IE is included in the errors

[​IMG]

**edit - and another

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  13. teacher

teacher Guest

14. teacher

teacher Guest

How to Disable Internet Explorer Error Reporting
    To disable Internet Explorer Error Reporting, use one of the following methods, depending on your computer.
    Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP
    1. Click Start, click Run, and then type sysdm.cpl in the Open box.
    2. Click Advanced, and then click Error Reporting.
    3. Click Disable error reporting to disable both user and kernel-mode error reporting, or click to clear the Programs check box.
    4. Click OK two times.
    Note Administrators can disable error reporting in Windows XP Professional by setting Report Errors to Disabled in Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.msc) in the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Error Reporting folder.
    Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 or 6 for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

In Registry Editor (Regedit.exe), create a DWORD value called IEWatsonEnabled and set it to 0 in the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    Internet Explorer 5.0 - 5.5 SP1 (All Operating Systems)
    To disable Internet Explorer Error Reporting, use the following steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, and then type appwiz.cpl in the Open box.
    2. In the list of installed programs, click Internet Explorer Error Reporting, and then click Add/Remove (in Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows NT 4.0) or Remove (in Windows 2000).
    3. Click OK.

15. teacher

teacher Guest

Lynchknot you once flamed me and called me ugly names because I did not agree with your statements. Now I will be the better person and help you.

16. lynchknot

I don't agree with your public post - and your display of "i'm a better man" Therefore, I don't need nor want your help - even if it solves all my problems.

This is just a show for you and a self inflicted ego stroke. You may state my (alleged) actions publicly, but fail to mention where you may be at fault. Do you think that's fair? Do you even think your post should be aired publicly?

Get a clue and see where you are at fault. Remember, when you point your finger at someone - typically, your three fingers are pointing back at you. Furthermore, I don't even know who you are. I could state that you also called my a bunch of filthy names, publicly, but I won't go to that level. Not just because I don't know who you are but because it doesn't belong here.

My error reporting is and was disabled already but this isn't the same. (does not report to MS - only informs me)

I shall take my problem to a tech board as this is a security board and does not belong here.

BTW, I ran repair. This is not a matter of simply disabling error reporting. Something is wrong.

I ran repair. I was greeted to the two on the right on boot. I then tried to open IE, then I tried to look at event view and enable help

[​IMG]

The visual difference between error reporting and error informing

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

That's enough personal talk here - let's keep our posts OT gents.

18. lynchknot

Thanks Detox. Perhaps, if you will, delete the thread as this thread is OT to begin with. This is not an "other security issues" topic. I will resort to running True Image and be done with it.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

So that there is no mis-understanding by guests reading that....this is Wilders Security Forums....but should not be implied that this site is strictly about Security. We do have a proper forum for a problem such as this trouble....and I have now placed it in that Forum.

Concerning your problem LK....have you disabled some of your other programs such as Samurai to see if possibly they might be causing this hic-up ?

20. lynchknot

Sorry about placing in wrong forum. I thought this was strictly a security board. Anyway, I True Imaged (and learned absolutely nothing) and it was successful.

21. Down_Under

Down_Under Registered Member

I am having the same problem.
    It happened after I sent an email
    with ciphire encryption.

22. lynchknot

Well, I never sent any mail - encrypted or not but please let us know the outcome. I am interested in a solution rather than the easy fix. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.