Explorer.exe connecting out?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by bellgamin, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Every time I use WinXP's search function, explorer.exe tries to connect out. Does anyone know why? Can I (should I) block it?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I don't know if you should or not.
    I do know I have XP and that does not happen here.

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

It happens here as well on XP and if memory serves me on 2k as well. I blocked it in both cases with no ill effects.

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Good memory\find Snapdragin. I believe it was this post by Stem that finally did the trick for me without any ill affects on my 6 PC wired\wireless network with 2 shared printers.

6. bellgamin

Spot on! Thanks.

Now that I know it's okay to block explorer.exe from connecting out, I need to figure a way to do it. The only security I'm running is a NAT/SPI router, Avira, & Threatfire. None of these can be set to block a specific outgoing connection request, to my knowledge. It would be overkill to add a firewall JUST to keep explorer.exe from reporting my searches to Bill G, wot?

7. bellgamin

Couldn't think of anything else to do so I installed Kerio 2.1.5, then killed all of Kerio's incoming rules (I have a NAT/SPI router) so it ONLY manages outgoing connections.

Does anyone have a better idea? (sigh)

8. LoneWolf

No SSM anymore?

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello :)

Yes, SSM (full), DSA, ProSec (and I believe Neoava too). But I think you already know that ;)

Nevertheless, I am just curious. Since you have no outbound control, how did you manage to notice this connection?

It does. You have SSM installed, you should know that. Unless it's a free version (no network rules).

Cheers,

10. LoneWolf

No it does not. Using xp search does not wish to connnect out here.

Full version.

Unless i'm missing something here.
    or maybe i've already created a permant rule about this and forgot i did.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi LoneWolf.

iirc, SSM is installed (by default) with network rules disabled. You need to enable them manualy. Are your network rules enabled?

Another possibility is that you performed a 'search' from explorer while your SSM was in 'learning' mode, so the rule was created automatically, and the outbound by explorer.exe is therefore allowed. Inspect your network rules (if they are enabled) and delete the one that permits the outbound. Now perform a 'search', SSM should warn you. Like this -

s251107a.jpg

Cheers,

12. LoneWolf

Thats it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views:
  13. bellgamin

I have 4 discrete images of my system hard drive:

1-SSM
    2-Threatfire
    3-Comodo version 3, with Defender+.
    4-ProSecurity

I'm doing try-outs of TF & Com3, pending Vitali's forthcoming update to SSM, & Jei's forthcoming update to ProSec. I am really liking TF (a behavior blocker). Com3's Defense+ (a classic HIPS) is quite good, too -- although still a bit rough around the edges.

Why the try-outs? Well, it does NOT mean that I have ceased my love affair with SSM (& ProSec, too, for that matter). It's just that I am unsure whether SSM & ProSec can survive as 1-man operations. TF & Com3 are backed by larger outfits.

We have entered the era of polymorphs, metamorphs, storm worms, etc. I am on the lookout for security software that "has the horses" to stay up with the bad guys. When the situation shakes out, I will make a final choice. I am predicting that the shake-out will occur within the next 3 to 5 months. I am hoping against hope that SSM and/or Prosec will survive & remain state-of-the-art HIPS -- but we shall see what we shall see.

I am presently trying TF. I have adopted Kees' custom rule whereby TF exercises a modicum of control over outbound -- see THIS post within Kees extensive TF tutorial.

TF spotted the outgoing attempt by explorer.exe & popped an alert. However, the only options offered by TF were "Allow" or "Quarantine." There was no "block the connection" option, as such.

If I quarantine explorer.exe, the computer can't function properly. Thus, TF's limited options forced me to "Allow" explorer.exe to make its connection. However, Kerio has now fixed that little problem.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

On W2K, there is the option to either seach the PC, or search both PC and web. With XP, there is only a "search" which will then make explorer attempt outbound.
    I have always blocked this, and as you state, there is no ill effect from this.

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I had a little play with ThreatFire (and reproduced the alert). I was completely unaware that it can monitor network connections. Well, I suppose I learned something new.
    Thanks for the explanation, bellgamin.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.