Explore Xen virtualization with Xen Live CD

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Do you fancy Xen, but don't have the courage, the expertise or the right resources to try? No worries. I have written an article introducing Xen Live CD, which allows testing a preconfigured Xen virtualization setup on top of Debian 5 Lenny in a live session.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xen-livecd.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

When I used the command, dd if=livecd-xen-3.2-0.8.2-i386.iso of=/dev/sde to burn the Xen .iso image to a plugged in (unmounted) unformatted 8GB USB flash drive, and used the plopbootmgr .iso burned to CD to transfer control to the USB for booting - all I got was one line of progress dots + a few more on the second line and then nothing. This was the same output I got with the quantOS .iso, quantos-201101.iso, burned to an 8GB USB in the same way.

Is there another way to burn the .iso image for Xen to an USB that I should be following? For example, should the USB be formatted or unformatted, have an MBR or not, and have a partition or not formatted to a particular filesystem specification type?

Note: The TAILS .iso, tails-i386-0.7.2.iso, works (boots up properly) via using the dd command as referenced above via the plop boot mgr, but not these two (xen and quantOS).

Tia,

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.