Experts: Hackers to step up 'cyberwar' in 2007

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by lucas1985, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

CNN.com

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

This is crazy.

3. lucas1985

This is partially true. Blended attacks are the norm: cross-site scripting in a drive-by download site that drops a certain file which delivers a destructive payload such as a keylogger and a backdoor both hidden by a rootkit.
    But all this wouldn´t be possible without social engineering.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am Trialing BufferZone to prevent web theft of personal info and keylogers and all download drivebys.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I would not call people exploiting people's stupidity as hackers.
    Most of the spyware companies have legitimate offices along California's sunny shore and hold smart presentations with people in suits and tie talking about consumerism, marketing etc.
    Mrk

6. nadirah

Talking about social engineering, from my observations so far this is a technique fast becoming popular.
    Examples include:
    -IM chat programs. x tricks y into opening a malicious file/link/document. From here, we can assume that for the vast majority of users out there, most of them use default settings. A trick is to be smart enough to change all program settings and configure them for optimum protection. But some people simply don't know how/ feel more comfortable with defaults/just can't be bothered. In WLM(Windows Live Messenger), settings like allowing links within a conservation window, allowing a conservation window from links within a internet browser, etc, changing settings like these can save your computer in certain scenarios.

-Computer games. Namely the growing trend of MMORPGs. Besides IM, computer games, especially MMORPGs, are another hot bed for social engineering. Lots of examples available on the internet, some popular online games have forums where players of the game discuss issues with the game, at the same time observations show that these game forums are extremely unprofessional at times when it comes to helping players with technical problems, I've even seen a moderator telling users to turn off their firewalls just to play the game and see whether it works!. That would result in doomsday for some computers instantaneously. Social engineering from these games include:
    -Some users turn to hacking programs to give their character certain advantages. Result: Their computers are infected with all sorts of malware. Then these users may come asking for help.
    -Removable media and storage devices: I think this can be classified as another form of social engineering too.
    - What is good can be bad too. Security programs can be abused for malicious purposes too.

Social Engineering seems to be a major factor as to just WHY so many computers are infected. The user's not dumb or stupid, they just don't know enough about all these security stuff.
    Users who don't know about all the computing & security issues being discussed here, will just take any recommendation that comes by. Of course many more examples and techniques related to SE can be highlighted.

7. nadirah

The term hackers, ....... is being used too actively. Wow, interesting work life they have...not surprising actually..but they ruin people's computers for a living. People will do anything for money. :blink:

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Nadirah,

What is MMORPGs?
    Can you give me the link where you find this stuff about Social Engineering?
    Best,

Gerard

9. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games
    See my signature; I'm also victim of one :D

10. lucas1985

Link ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.