expert help needed please

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by who_cares, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. who_cares

who_cares Registered Member

I am at my wits end trying to get a page to load in ie5.5 sp2 (98se) I have tried everything

starting from » http://www.verizon.net/wifi
    when i click on the "locations link ie freezes and i must c+a+d to get out this also happens in other browsers
    avant,crazy,off by one!
    opera loads half of the page from "yp.superpages.com"
    (the list on the left but not the map)

mozilla loads the page correctly (except I need to hit the stop button after the page loads,but it does load ok)

I have renamed my "hosts" file
    I have added "yp.superpages.com" to ie's trusted sites
    I have added "*.verizon.* to ie's trusted zone
    I have removed every site from ie's restricted zone
    I lowered internet zone to either allow or prompt for everything.

I booted to knoppix and could load the locations page using
    mozilla but had a problem using konqueror (sorry about the spelling)

note the screen shot when I used mozilla when I clicked on "locations" i went to "yp.superpages.com"

when i used ie i go to verisign whats up with that?

is it possible that i am using ms vm for ie and sun java for mozilla and this is causing this?

thanks

oh yea I tried to get help for this in the ms help forum at dslr acouple of days ago but there were not many replies.

- Fixed linked page with URL tags - LWM

Attached Files:

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi who_cares,

why don't you upgrade to IE 6.0 SP2? I'm pretty sure this would solve your problem. I didn't have any problem accessing this site with it. :)

Nevertheless the problem could also be the site itself -who knows how it was written?

Regards,

Patrice

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Some initial observations...

First, the "Locations" link is an https page, so the connection to crl.verisign.com is normal for IE if you have this option set:

Tools > Internet Options... > Advanced > scrool down to Security items - "Check for server certificate revocation..."

IE is checking with the Verisign authority to validate the https sites certificate. The certificate looks good by the way, otherwise you'd get a warning about it.

The resulting page by Verizon is however not all SSL. It looks like a frame or section is https and other parts are not. I get the usual warning about displaying mixed content. However, the page paints fine for me in IE 6.0.

There could be a lot of different things at play here, so why don't you start by just temporarily disabling the check for "server certificate revocation". Note: Normally you want to do this as it adds to the overall trust model for an https site, but, perhaps that is part of why IE is hanging. Uncheck the option related to this as shown in the image below. Note it requires a reboot.

There's probably more to this, but, step by step may help find the problem.

Attached Files:

4. who_cares

thank you both for the quick replys

I would love to use ie6 however it hoses my cd burning sw
    and NTI absoultly refused to patch it. I could however buy new sw. This happened 1 month after I bought my cd-rw. (about 2 years ago)

LWM your suggestion did not help,(yes I rebooted) :D but thanks

5. LowWaterMark

Hi who_cares,

Two questions. One, when you removed the certificate check, on your next attempt did it still try to connect to verisign (via your wallwatcher logs).

Second, if it is completely hanging and hosing IE when you hit that page, have you tried goinging into Add/Remove Programs and doing the Internet Explorer repair? Perhaps, IE is corrupted from some software or other install.

6. who_cares

LWM with "check for revocation" unchecked I do not
    go to *verisign" still no joy

as for ie repair I really dont want to try that untill I can find 5.5 to dl.

I went back through all my old dl's that i burned to cd
    and all i could find were 500k setup exe's and sense I cant find 5.5 at m$ Im sure the setup exe wont either!

Im begining to believe its a ms vm or the verizon site
    problem.
    reverend ike at dslr has the same problem with 98/se and ie 5.5 sp2

7. LowWaterMark

As far as full install kits for IE5.5 being available from Microsoft or other places online, I am not sure, but I'd guess they are out there.

However, there are several common CDs out there that do include a full copy of the IE5.5 kit... All AOL 7.0 CD's have it in hidden directories. (I don't know about AOL 8.0 CDs, haven't checked one of those yet.) Also, the last two year's TurboTax CDs have IE 5.5 kits on them.

It's worth taking a look through your CD's for these kits, they are often included. Just a thought. :)

8. who_cares

more info! from another poster at dslr:

Well, I have W98SE and IE5.5SP2 and I can't get that site to load either. I get a mostly blank window and can't stop it trying to load and can't X out of it either. I had to c/a/d to get out. When I first read this thread, I was on Mozilla but forgot I was on it, and I clicked on the link and it came up just fine with Mozilla and I didn't let the site have a cookie.

I have no firewall so that is not the problem. Nor do I have a router. I do have Cookie Crusher and it rejected the site's cookies, but I gave no cookie with Mozilla and had no problem...so cookies isn't the reason the page won't load. I don't have Kaspersky. I do use Proxomitron. I tried bypassing Proxo and that made no difference. I tried putting the site in my trusted zone and that didn't help.

MS Virtual Machine can't be the reason because I don't have Sun Java and it is not needed because I have no problems with the site using Mozilla with no Java. This is a strange problem! I don't have problems at other secure sites with IE. BTW, I too had Mozilla want to not stop loading the page even though it was fully loaded. So, even Mozilla, on W98SE, doesn't work completely correctly at that site.

...................................................................................

thats 3 confirmed 98se/ie 5.5 users with the same problem.

9. who_cares

more problems!
    a poster at dslr said that by removing
    "that site" from ie's trusted zone he was able to get the locations page to half load (he got the list of links on the left but no map)
    I went and removed all references to vz and superpages from the trusted zone and I got the same half loaded page.
    now the new problem something reloaded
    "https//*.www33.verizon.*" to ie's trusted zone!
    (not me) and I can not remove it
    it seems to be removed but even if I am at dslr or any other page. when i reopen "trusted sites" its back
    I don't go to a "www33" page, I don't close ie
    I don't reboot! it just "seems" to go when I hit remove
    and then 'ok' out of 'internet options'
    but if i go back to "trusted sites" its back

I did try removing that url and closing ie and then rebooting but that did not work!

these new vz pages are getting scary I mean I now have no control of a verizon site{s} adding itself to the trusted zone!!!!!!!!!

10. who_cares

the inability to remove the "www33" domain from trusted sites is fixed. (via regedit) However the cause of the problem is still a mystery.

now with "www33" out of trusted sites as was suggested
    when I click on the "locations" link
    I only get half the page loaded
    I do get the list of locations (links)on the left side
    but no map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.