Experiencing a strange glitch - possible Spybot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dog, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, :)

I've been experiencing a strange little glitch, that seems to be caused by Spybot 1.3., as uninstallation of 1.3, elminates the problem, and re-installing reproduces it. (I've tried and confirmed this 4 times)

It's a small little glitch, basically with Spybot installed ... on PC start up ... for some reason a Window Explorer window opens, it's the directory that I have some of my security apps located ... TDS, WG, PG, CS, AV and Firewall. Spybot and other various anti-spy proggies are in a different folder.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? or Does anyone know the root cause? or remedy? BTW OS = XP Home.

TIA :D

dog - *puppy*

I will post this at net-intergration ... if nobody has any suggestions ... just wanted to check at home first. ;)

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Check the usual autostart entries in the Registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

and if this is 9X/ME, also: "Load=" and "Run=" of Win.ini

See if anything points to this folder that is opening at startup. Hope that helps. ;)

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Randy, :)

I had checked this previously using DCS - AS Veiwer, but rechecked following your post.

The only thing listed is urllstck.exe, which is apart of NPF and it is in this folder ... this has been listed long prior to the problem, though. Any other ideas? I can't find any other entries linked to this folder.

TIA ;)

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2004
  4. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, :)

Just another little thing I'm curious about.

With resident protection installed/enabled ... shouldn't the spybot icon be loaded into the system tray at start up? I've now confirmed on 5 boots this doesn't occur for me ... I have to open SB v1.3, click on the tools sub-section and click the resident icon ... and then it loads.

Has anyone experienced this? Or have any ideas to why it's happen?

TIA ;)

dog - *puppy*

I will also post this at net-intergration - I will report any finds back here of course. ;)

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

In "Settings"/"Settings"/"Main Settings", is "Save all settings." check-marked and showing as "ON"?

In "Tools"/"Resident", do you have checkmarks in front of both SDHelper and TeaTimer? (Teatimer is what shows in the SYSTRAY). Pete

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

tea timer is the third one from the left

Attached Files:

• tt.jpg
      tt.jpg
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
  7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And, dog - when you originally set up the program (from the zip, that is) and it asked you during the set-up if you wanted both TT and SDH to run - did you checkmark both of them at THAT point, also?

You probably need to do an un-install/re-installl with a fresh copy of the zip. Pete

8. dog

dog Guest

Hi Guys, ;)

Yes, I installed both the SD helper (BHO) and the tea timer. When I check the settings of Resident, they are both checked. But the only way I can load the tea timer in the sys tray is to Open 1.3 select tools and then click on the resident ... then it'll load.

Pete, I think the proggy is OK (re: fresh one) - I got a suggestion @ net-intergration that it maybe a conflict with another antispy proggy - I'm gonna play with the startups to see if this is possible ... now that I think of it ... I'll checkout reg prot too ... maybe that's were the answer is.

Thanks for all the help! ;)

I'll report back my findings :)

dog - *puppy*

9. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

I'm still experiencing this strange glitch ... Playing with the start up entries, resulted in nothing ... I thought maybe it was a conflict with DCS regprot ... but that's definitely not it.

I'll try a fresh D/L and install ... cleaned the registry & spybot user settings folder... install and will report back.

Thanks All, ;)

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2004
  10. dog

dog Guest

Hi all, :)

Problem seems to reside with the teatimer ... if installed opens the windows explorer window mention above ... and does not load the teatimer in the system tray at startup ... I'm out of ideas and options. Having the teatimer not installed, solves the window issue, but leaves me without resident protection.

Any suggestions? :)

TIA :)

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2004
  11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The reverse route? Installing without TT and SDHelper, then going back and adding them into the program afterwards through the "Tools" menu? (If you install without TT and SDHelper to start with, you'll probably have to put a checkmark in next to the icon on the main "Tools" screen for Resident before you'll be able to activate them - IOW, you put the checkmark in the "Resident" icon box on the main 'Tools" screen, then you click on "Resident" in the left-hand pane of the "Tools" screen and put the checkmarks in front of "Resident SDHelper..." and "Resident TeaTimer..." where it says "Resident Protection Status").

You might want to also see if installing SBS&D to the standard location helps (according to your post on NI, you've got it in a non-standard location - something other than C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy).

And some questions about the install itself:

When you un-installed and cleaned the registry and d/l'ed the fresh copy, did you then do a re-start before installing?

Did you close down all the programs running that you possibly could before doing the install?

When you go into the folder and right-click SpyBotSD.exe and then choose "Properties" from the context-menu that pops up, does the "General" tab say that the "Size: 3.76MB (3.948,032 bytes)' and "Size on Disk: 3.76MB (3,948,544 bytes)" and - when you click on the "Version" tab - does it say that you're running 1.3.0.12?

The TeaTimer.exe's properties should read File Version 1.3.0.12 also, with Size: .99 MB (1038336 bytes) and Size on Disk: .99MB (1040384 bytes)
    (MD5 here says 9d7660564cf9a8226dc8d44679f3a64b for the SpyBotSD.exe itself and 58f7e6434d285f4c98ad3621e0bd8c8d for TeaTimer.exe if you have something to calulate yours with, like HashCalc

SlavaSoft site ).

If we can get all the basics of things like correct install, correct settings and correct versions of the program's different exe's out of the way, perhaps we'll be able to muddle through this. Pete

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Dog....if indeed you installed that might be the cause of some of what your experiencing. When one enables TeaTimer for instance via Tools\Resident....Spybot sets a value in the registry as seen in the below attachment....which as you can see is the standard install location. Whiloe this might not be the case....I would look in the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run to see if you even have the SpybotSD TeaTimer entry.

Attached Files:

13. dog

dog Guest

Hi Pete & Bubba, ;)

Thanks for the input and advice ... (yes, rebooted everytime) ... and everything else checked out OK.

But PETE you solved the problem! ... it was in fact because it was not installed in the default directory that caused this little glitch.

Uninstalled Spybot, Removed ALL the Spybot folders, clean the reg again, rebooted ... reinstalled Spybot in the default location ... and Presto ... everything is as it should be.

Thanks all for helping me lick this problem! KC's all around and an extra bunch for Pete. (Pete I'm going to post the results in the net-intergration thread, are you a member there? Do you use the same username? Spy1 for credit proposes)

Thanks

dog - *puppy*

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Blind luck, my friend, blind luck. Glad you got it straightened out. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.