Execution Protection , one more time

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by sflag, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sflag

sflag Registered Member

Hello  ,

I  am a new user of TDS3 and I have some very basic questions to you :

1) When I check "install / execution protection" I must close or minimize TDS3 to continue protected by Ex.Pro ?

2) After a reboot , unless I have checked " start with Windows " , I will have again to "install/ex.pro" , isn't  it?

3)With " Ex. Pro." installed  I have a kind of on-access  program(resident) . If I also have installed other AT , with different approach regarding detection of trojans  ( BOClean , TrojanHunter or PestPatrol ) , I will  have conflicts running both of them resident ?

Thank  you  ,
                                       sflag

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi sflag,

Closing TDS will close the software, and thus execution protection. If minimized: correct.

No. execution protection will be kept installed. When using TDS as an on demand scanner (that's what you describe) you can easily check this by starting up TDS manually, and have a look at the GUI from TDS.

If TDS is configured to start from boot: correct.

In general, it is not recommended to run two ATs resident to avoid conflicts - and there's no need to do so neither. PestPatrol has no resident running capacities,  BOClean will act as soon as a trojan(server) tries to activate in memory, and as forTrojanHunter, it's the Guard part that's relevant.  Personally, I would recommend running TDS resident, and others on demand.

regards.

paul

3. sflag

sflag Registered Member

Hello , Paul

In  summary  :  install Ex.Pro. > check to start from boot >

always minimize TDS3's GUI   =  Execution

Protection will ever be running on-access  

with TDS3 's  logo  appearing .

Thank  you again ,
                                     sflag

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

TDS-3 does not need to be started from boot for execute protection to be used, but execute protection won't be on until you start TDS-3.

I shut down TDS-3 and start it back up again often, and execute protection always comes back on.

I run NOD32 with its resident scanner AMON alond side TDS-3's execute protection with no problems.

I will add that using a plethora of anti-malware programs at once quite often causes more problems than it solves.

5. Paul Wilders

UNICRON,

Just wondering: in case TDS isn't started from boot, wouldn't there be a possibility payloaded malware being executed? If so, starting TDS up on demand would in effect be too late.

Thoughts?

regards.

paul

6. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Yes Paul, since TDS-3[glow=teal,10,1000]MUST[/glow] be running for execute protection to be running, booting with out TDS-3 means you are without this protection. But, if you then start TDS-3 afterwards, execute protection is started.

I just don't want anyone to think you have to restart your machine to get execute protection on if you had to close TDS-3 for any reason.

7. Paul Wilders

Thanks!

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.