Exclusions NOT Working! (Sage Line 50)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nedge2k, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nedge2k

nedge2k Registered Member

With Nod32 enabled, the performance of Sage Line 50 is badly affected. With it disabled, Sage runs as normal.

I started by excluding all the folders relating to Sage plus the network share (mapped to a drive) and it's folders - no change.

Code:
    C:\Program Files\Sage\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage Line50\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage Report Designer 2007\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SBD\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SData\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage Shared\*.*
    S:\
    I then excluded the root of the OS (C:\) and the root of the network drive (S:\) and the network share for good measure. Still no change.

Code:
    C:\*.*
    S:\*.*
    \\server\share\*.*
    Disabled the file scanning, everything back to normal!

I can see in the task manager that, even with every file on the computer excluded and every file on the network drive excluded, ekrn.exe is still scanning during Sage operations which is leading to incredible slow downs. I also notice that if I look in the resource monitor, network usage goes through the roof, holding at around 90Mbps for around 10-15 seconds when I click on "new invoice" from a customer's record with real time scanning enabled. If you click "new invoice" with it disabled, there's a short blip of network activity and the new invoice loads almost instantly. If I disable real time scanning for network drives, the problem goes away.

Vista SP2 client machines are running Nod32 V4 for Business, SBS 2003 server running Mail Security V4, Remote Administration Server and Console V4. All applications, drivers, etc. etc. etc. are up to date - this was a fresh install this morning. Advanced heuristics on file execution not enabled.

Any advice would be much appreciated else I'll have to look for an alternative AV solution :(

EDIT: To summarise the below posts, use the first lot of exclusions above plus C:\ProgramData\Sage\*.* and, providing the file server hosting the Sage account data has it's own AV scanner, turn off network file scanning on the clients and all should be speedy again. Not the best solution be seems to be the only one!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. stickymicky

stickymicky Registered Member

We had the exact same issue!... to fix to the folowing...

Within your exclusions remove all others and add the following;

C:\Program Files\Saga Payroll\*.* (if you use Payroll)
    C:\ProgramData\Sage\*.*

This worked a treat for me! :) So hope it helps!

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

We have ESET working with Line50 with no problems. We DID have lots of problems, and that's when we really missed the functionality that our previous AV had (eTrust) to exclude a process from AV.

What we exclude now are the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage Line50\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SBD\*.*
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage Shared\*.*
    \\SLNSRV\Accounts\ACCDATA\*.*
    T:\

We also untick "scan on open" and "scan on create", relying on "scan on execute" in the realtime scanner.

The UNC path above, and T:\, are where Sage data is held. We put both UNC and letter for good measure....

Jim

4. stickymicky

When I spoke to ESET support I was told to do just and only just the ones i have listed... i haven't a clue why? But this made the software run the quickest as i timed each setup of exclusions...

5. jimwillsher

The line

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\*.*

might have been for a non-Sage task, I can't remember (my config has 29 exclusion lines). However for us it was the SBD folder which made the difference.

6. nedge2k

Cheers both but - and maybe you can test this? - unless real time scanning on network files is disabled, it takes forever to load up a new invoice from a customer's record (Sage L50 2010).

However, adding C:\ProgramData\Sage\*.* has speeded up the login :) (I didn't test login before with root C:\ excluded)

Desktop and My Documents files for the clients live on the server so with the above disabled, these are no longer being monitored - not good.

After some further testing and monitoring, it appears my above exclusions work for the actual program files themselves but the UNC and mapped drive exclusions are being ignored totally.

Disabling scan on open or create would most likely work for us but it's not something I want to do - just to be on the safe side.

7. stickymicky

I will check my sage policy to confirm my settings... but the problem you are having is exactly the problem I was having!... So stand by!... :)

8. stickymicky

I just found the email from eset support and the only other thing i haven't told you was within the software setup go to:

"Anti-Virus and Spyware > Real Time file system protection" and untick network drives."

We were ok with this as we have ESET on our file server and that scans the network drives and not the client pc's.

This should then resolve your issue.

9. jimwillsher

Yeah I've just checked my config and it's the same. So I guess it was that that solved it for our L50 users rather than the exclusions (it was a while ago.....)

Jim

10. nedge2k

Doh! Of course it does, as does ours so I need not have worried about disabling network scanning! Sigh, it's been a long day :p

Cheers Micky :)

11. surfer1000

surfer1000 Registered Member

I use Sage Line 50 Professional 2010, and don't have any exclusions set up for anything on my pc and i find the program works well!

I am using Smart Security on Vista Ultimate 32bit

12. nedge2k

I'd add C:\ProgramData\Sage\*.* to yours Jim as Micky suggested - made a big difference to login speed for me.

13. nedge2k

heh, take it you haven't been using it long then? ;) Either that or your Sage account data isn't stored on a network?

14. jimwillsher

Ok I've just added that....I'll see if the users make any comments :)

Jim

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

For performance issues when scanning certain files, please always create a log from Process Monitor and provide it to an ESET personnel or me for perusal.

16. surfer1000

surfer1000 Registered Member

Hi, I have been using it along time (since it was, back then version 5!)

Although i have only been with Eset for about 15 months now.

But i think your right its not on a network, just a single stand alone pc with all files saved to the default locations, mostly "C" drive.

Is this the reason I don't seem to have any problems then ?

ESS is set to scan network drives, I do have a back up drive always connected via USB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.