Excluding Entire folders from Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by motiger, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motiger

motiger Registered Member

Is it possible to exclude entire folders (like system volume information) from an image? If so how would I do this. I know how to exclude by file type just not by folder.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The impact of System Volume Information can be minimised by turning off Windows system restore.
    Or only have it activated for the system drive and before the next backup Windows disk clean up can be used to remove all but the last restore point.

As the WSVI folder is normally a hidden system folder it may not be possible to exclude it individually or as a class. However if it is empty or nearly so it won't take up much space.

Xpilot

3. motiger

Thanks xpilot, :) I was just trying to see if I could do this. I wonder if it weren't a hidden file if it could be deleted from the image just by putting the path into the exclusion by file category. Thanks for your good counsel. Motiger

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Can´t the SVI be treated similarly to the page and hibernation files, that is, excluded by default by TI? This is what O&O DiskImage does.
    And what would happen if SVI is excluded explicitly, as suggested?

5. motiger

There are certain files that if delete windows replaces as a matter of routine. Good thought Robin. This and reinstitution of killing the oldest ASZ file to make room for the newest are good grist for improving ATI's update or to offer in the next "for a fee" edition of TI. Peace out.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

If you want to exclude some folder it should be kept in slashes like:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\test\

Excluding "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\test" will not exclude the folder TEST but the file "test".

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

7. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Thank you Dmitry, I had been unable to exclude a folder until I saw your post.
    It would be very nice if the Exclude- Add option opened a Browse box to make selection easier (multiple selections?) or even Drag and Drop a folder/file onto the Exclude window.
    How about it?
    Thanks
    John

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John Farrar,

Thank you for the question!

Grace to you suggestion I have created a request in a special Acronis system where we collect ideas, wishes, proposals and complaints of Acronis customers. Your proposal will help to our development team to create even better products.

Thank you.

Jean Papyrin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.