Excluding \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by binslp, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binslp

binslp Registered Member

This seems to have been discussed some time ago, but I can't find it in any current forums, and didn't see an answer in Google search results.

Apparently, some time ago, I got a Trojan virus in a Java file. (I assume NOD32 found it at the time.) It seems to have been captured in a VSS snapshot. I back up my computer using Migo PG Backup 10, and every time I do so, NOD32 flags the file. This is the log entry:

1/11/2011 12:37:18 AM Real-time file system protection file \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Documents and Settings\MyName\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\62\4721cb3e-30f94164 a variant of Java/Exploit.Agent.NAL trojan error while cleaning MY-COMPUTER\MyName Event occurred on a file modified by the application: C:\Program Files\MigoMobile\MigoMobile PC Backup\mgService.exe.

Not surprisingly, the error message says that it cannot clean the file. As I usually run backups overnight, I rarely see the message, and the backup finishes with an error. So...

1) Is there a way to tell NOD 32 not to scan \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1? Can I do it as a general exclusion, or, specifically, on this file from the log? (Maybe this should go in "feature wish", but it would be nice to have a context menu entry like "Exclude from future scans.")

2) Is there a way to clean or empty my VSS snapshots? (Yeah, this is not an ESET question, but someone who understands what this post means might know the answer!;))

Thanks much for any help.

Oh, yes - I use Windows XP Pro with all service packs.

2. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

3. binslp

binslp Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I read those articles, but on your suggestion I went through them again.

My problem is, I don't know which of the options to select. I cannot enter \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\, because it is not a "complete" file name. I thought about selecting the System Volume Information file for drive C:, but, before excluding it, I ran a scan against it; it found nothing.

By the way, I do have an exclusion for C:\Program Files\MigoMobile\MigoMobile PC Backup\mgService.exe, but that's been on for a while and does not prevent the problem.

What am I supposed to select from the Exclusions menu?

Thanks, again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.