exclude directories/folders

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kris99, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kris99

kris99 Guest

Hi,

I'd like to use Acronis True Image 8.0 to make an image of my XP workstation's C: disk to another fysical D: disk. I'm sure this will not give a problem, but my only concern is: can I exclude/skip specific directories or folders (f.e. a folder containing less important divx movies).

Thanks!
    Kris

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

You can use TI to create a clone (copy) of a whole disk or you can create an image file of a single partition. TI operates on disk sectors it does not operate at the File/Folder level so you can't include or exclude specific files/folders. That said, you could move those files you want to exclude to a second partition whilst keeping everything else in the C: drive partition - you then just create an image of the C: drive which you then restore to the other disk. Alernatively, leave as is and, after restoring the image to the other disk, just delete the files you don't want.

3. kris99

kris99 Guest

Thank you for the very fast response!
    One more question then: if I divide my physical boot disk into two partitions (let's say C: and D:). Can I use TI then to make an image (or clone) from the c: partition to the d: partition, although it's the same physical device?
    Thanks!
    Kris

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kris99,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can divide your hard disk into two or more partitions and then create images and save them to any of existing partitions.

Please note that you can only clone the entire hard disk. Acronis True Image doesn't allow you to clone a particular partition.

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

5. kvdv99

kvdv99 Guest

But it's possbile to make an image of a specific partition and put the image on a different partition, right?

Kris

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kvdv99,

Yes it is possible. Please refer to User's Guide (Chapter 4, p.19)

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

7. tachyon42

The term "clone" refers to copying a whole disk to another disk. This gives two disks which are identical.
    Creating an image of a drive (partition) is usually done to create a backup of a single drive. This image is in a single file which would usually be created on a second (possibly external) disk or a set of one or more CDs or DVDs. This image can then be used at a later stage should one want to restore the drive to it's state at the time the image was created. For example, you might create an image, install a new program or OS upgrade and find that your system gets corrupted. You could then restore the drive to it's original uncorrupted state. Note that we are talking about restoring to the same drive (partition) as that from which the image was created.
    There is nothing to stop you creating an image of a drive (partition) and then restoring it as another partition. That partition can be on the same disk or another disk. This can be quite useful, however, complications can occur if the disk contains multiple partitions. In particular, be aware that this can cause problems booting the disk, affect the disk MBR and the Windows boot.ini file depending upon how the disk partitions are used. You need to know exactly what the effects might be and how to fix the problem should you start restoring images in this way. I would NOT suggest anyone use TI in this way unless they really know what they are doing and have backups of all partitions in the event that something goes wrong.
    However, there should be no problem if the image of drive C: (the bootable drive) is being restored to a disk where the restored partition will be the only partition on that disk.

8. tachyon42

I just read the later questions which were asked whilst I was writing the above.
    It appears I misinterpreted the original question, I thought the objective was to create an image (ie a copy) of the C: drive on another drive. I understand now that what was really being asked was if an image file (ie a .tib file) could be created on another drive.
    Hope my earlier response was not confusing the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.