Exchange Transaction Logfiles

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by danj, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danj

danj Registered Member

When I use Acronis server to backup the partition hold the Exchange server and her log files , the transaction logfiles are deleted after the backup ? o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello danj,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

The behaviour you described is very strange. Please check the settings of the Exchange server. Acronis True Image doesn't delete any files at all. Please make sure the log files are deleted only after you use Acronis software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Exchange only does this when it sees that a backup is made of the database. Usually he can only see this when it is backupped by a backup agent.

somehow it thinks the same when a image is made,

4. danj

danj Registered Member

jeremyotten Exchange only does this when it sees that a backup is made of the database. Usually he can only see this when it is backupped by a backup agent.

somehow it thinks the same when a image is made,

Hi ,

You say Exchange thinks the backup with Acronis image software is the same like backup with a backup agent, and Exchange delete the Transactions Logfiles? o_O

5. danj

danj Registered Member

jeremyotten

Hi,

Do you can give me a confirmation about the Transactions Logfiles the Exchange delete after the backup the partition hold Exchange server with acronis image software ?!
    To the support team :

Where can I see information in the KB of acronis about backup Exchange Server with Acronis Server o_Oo_O?

Please without thanks, please answer the question if you can o_O

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  6. Acronis Support

Hello danj,

We recommend that you suspend complex services when creating the backup as described at our site. As for the behaviour of Exhange Server when it is being backed up, I would recommend that you contact Microsoft for possible reason why Exhange deletes log files.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. danj

danj Registered Member

To the Acronis Support :

1st I have not to connect to Microsoft about Exchange delete Transactions Logfiles , this is a design behavior AFTER the backup of the Exchange Server.

2nd The company I work for didnot have to BUY your software to make backups to a Microsoft server, automatically ,and not manually . You see the backup run in the nights (!) and anybody can stop the Exchange server to start the backup we wont to run automatically

We paid 700 US dollars for your software because the name your software have and you say us we have to stop Exchange server before the backups with acronis , why you didn't publish the problems with acronis for servers and tell the people the acronis software is only for home consumers?

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

To danj: That is what you and Jeremy claims.

I shall be the first the admit that I have absolutely no experience with backing up MS Exchange Server databases, but from what I have read the log truncation only happens with backup programs that
    • knows about the existence of the transaction logs,
    • knows how to back them up,
    • knows how to backup the Exchange database itself, and
    • knows how to inform Exchange Server when it is done.
    And with all due respect for True Image, I don't think it is that clever! But I could be wrong....
    Sorry - as much as I try, I can not make head nor tail of what your are trying to say here. Please clarify.

9. JeffGowlett

JeffGowlett Registered Member

Gidday,

In regards to backuping up a server automatically here is a few ideas.

We run Win 2K SBS with exchange and SQL Base (a database server - just in case you didn't know that). To create an accurate image of the server both of these databases need to be shutdown and restarted again after the backup is complete.
    We also have a full 3 week rotation of backups spread across 5 250GB external firewire drives (one for monday, one for tuesday, and so on). We do not use incremental backups, I don't believe in them, we only use full backup images. These images are approx 70-80GB each night. At any one time, each hard disk will have 3 weeks worth of mondays or tuesdays or wednesdays, etc...

All of this needs to be done automatically each night. The process has to be idiot proof (that way I can take a holiday sometime). All I have to do in the morning is change the firewire drive over.

It's a fairly major thing to pull off, but if you have some experience with scripting, then it is fairly simple. If you don't have any experience with scripting, then send me an email and I'm quite happy to help.

How the automatic full backup happens each night.......

1. I wrote a script to shutdown the exchange services at a set time (if you need help on which services to shutdown, let me know)

2. 30 minutes later (ensures there is plenty of time for exchange to shutdown) the SQL Base server shutdowns - Again through the use of scripts

3. 15 minutes later, another script accesses the firewire drive and deletes the oldest backup ready for the new one. It also generates another script for Trueimage Server (in the trueimage XML format). Why?? It is important to be able to give our backups different names. I use the date for the filename (YYYYMMDD.tib)

4. 15 minutes later again (enough time for the oldest image file to be deleted) Trueimage Terminal executes the script that was created in the step before.

5. A few hours later, another script starts the exchange servicies again

6. 30 minutes later, another script starts the SQL Base engine again.

All of this happens when no one is in the office. It starts about 10pm and finishes at about 4:30am.
    As I said before, everything is done with scripts, in particular VB Scripts. And I am happy to help with script creation for your needs, just send me an email at jeffg@pmm.com.au

10. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Maybe it's an idea to help Acronis with scripting and adding it to there GUI.

11. danj

danj Registered Member

Home > Corporate Products >
    Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows
    Real-time server disk backup, server disk imaging, and bare-metal restore for Windows servers

Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows allows you to create the exact server disk image for complete server backup providing the most comprehensive and cost effective server protection.

The server disk backup file includes all the server disk data including system, programs, databases, and the like.

After a system crash, you can restore the complete server drive contents or replace lost files and folders.

Based on the exclusive Acronis Drive Snapshot technology, Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows allows to create a server disk backup image without interrupting server operations.

Thanks ,
    I claim the publish you see say I can create server images without interrupting server operations !

After the buying I have to say we can't use the software because the Exchange server serve a vpn connection with offices in the states with a big diferent day ligths hours.

12. JeffGowlett

JeffGowlett Registered Member

13. Acronis Support

Hello danj,

Please note that we have software for large servers where you may set up custom script to be launched before the snapshot is taken and another custom script to be launched after the snapshot is taken. As for Acronis True Image Server, you may create schedule the script manually with Windows "Scheduled Tasks" wizard. It usually takes one minute or less to take a snapshot and you don't need to suspend the application for all the time the image is being created.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.