Excessive scan times?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by PatG, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Ran an On Demand Smart Scan last night on Drive C. Scanned 248,014 objects and the time was 1 hour 11 minutes! Is this normal for NOD? Seemed very long to complete, IMO. XP SP3 is OS.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It depends on what files you have on the disk. Have you tried disabling archives, sfx archives, runtime packers and advanced heuristics to see which of these options affects the scan time most?

3. PatG

PatG Registered Member

No I didn't Marcos. Have never adjusted any items on scans in past, but will change some settings and post back later. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Just ran an In Depth scan and unchecked your suggestions plus the pagefile.sys. WOW! Total time was 13 minutes, 11 seconds. Quite an improvement. Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. Boarchild

Boarchild Registered Member

You should be aware that you did not scan all these archives for viruses or trojans when you disable those options. They could actually be infected and you would not know about it.

In my experience advanced heuristics affect the scan time the most, depending on what is actually on the drive that you are scanning. If it's a drive with rar archives and lots of installation files, any of the options will decrease the scanning time by alot. But, will also mean that the files are not scanned.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

and he will find out about it as soon as he tries to open the archive until then it is dormant and might as well not exist.

6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Thanks to both of you for input, however the precaution has been taken in the Smart Scan configuration by not changing anything. So if I do a smart scan once a week ALL content on HD is being covered. But Deep Scan has been changed for quicker time. Please don't think I would take a chance of deliberately infecting my computer. DUH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.