Excessive Scan Time Read Error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JRickey, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRickey

JRickey Registered Member

I loaded Smart Security 6 to my Windows 7 Laptop that I believe has a virus. I made the mistake of not turning off all of the previous anti virus stuff on the computer prior to loading it (Defender, Firewall). I had issues so I removed the SS6 did the registry search (downloaded the program and ran it).

I reloaded the program and ran a a scan. It took 27 hrs and found 35 files in red. The log said 5 were cleaned the rest needed direction. At that point the computer locked up and I had to restart. The log doesn't show the previous scan now. When I was looking at the scan it appeared that the excessive time was due to when the scan came upon a file then marked it as "error read". I understand that this is fine and should be expected but there were hundreds of files.

Is there a way to set up the scan to skip the perviously marked "error read" files so the scan doesn't take so long? Also is there a way to pull of the previously found red files to take action?

thanks.

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

If you know the exact system path for each of the files marked by the scan log as "Error Opening" you could run a custom scan and exclude these files from the scan. This is not practical for most users. Unfortunately, there is also no simple way to ignore these files on future scans.

If the scan found potential infections, it should have quarantined those files. If your scan log does not show this on-demand scan and the quarantine appears to be empty, you may need to run this scan again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.