Excessive Restore Time

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dmon000, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmon000

dmon000 Registered Member

I restored my c: drive from a separate ide internal drive and it took 4 hours. Used to take about 40 minutes. I recently installed a SATA drive as my C drive. Is this the problem? If so, what can be done?

Backups still only take about 40 minutes, so I'm kind of puzzled here.

Thanks !!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It sounds as though the Linux drivers (Linux is used when the C drive is restored) don't work well with your new SATA drive. That would account for the slow restore. Windows drivers are used for the backup, so that remains fast.

What version of TI are you using and what build number? In TI go to Help and click About for this information.

Is the SATA controller on the motherboard or on an add-in card? What brand of motherboard or add-in card do you have?

3. dmon000

dmon000 Registered Member

Hi John,
    Thanks for your response. I appreciate knowing it wasn't something dumb I did.

The information you asked for:
    Version 9.1 build 3718.
    The SATA controller is on the motherboard. The MB is a PC Chips P23G.

Thanks again for your help -- Dave

4. handyman

handyman Registered Member

Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with the concept. I just did the exact same thing yesterday, and it took about 20 minutes - I think. The "time remaining" display is woefully inaccurate. After about a minute or so, it leveled out at something like 39 minutes remaining, but abruptly finished with 14 minutes still showing. That was for a 27 Gig restore.

If you're getting poor transfer performance between your P-ATA and S-ATA drives, check your BIOS settings to make sure everything's correct. Do you have 32-bit transfers turned on? How about the IDE Enhanced Mode? Mine is set for "S-ATA". Is there some other bus activity going on during the restores?

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You might find that version 10 has better support for your new drive.

You can download the trial version and install it. Create a Recovery CD and test the restore with that CD. If you get a 40 minute restore, then there is much improved support.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI basis its estiate on the files remaining to be processed and the speed with which it has processed fiels so far during a given task. Big diffs in files sizes and in particular large files can make the estiamtes more or less accurate. They are the most inaccurate during the first minute or so of backup. However, I often see ATI successfully complete a backup task while the estiamte still reports several minutes remaining.

Also, if you are using the PC to do other things while a backup is underway, that can throw off the estimates since the clock cycles that these other tasks use up can vary widely, making it harder for ATI to correctly estimate the amount of time needed to process remaining files.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dmon000,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.