Excessive CPU usage on web browsers.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello and i hope everyone is well.
    I use comodo dragon as my primary web browser and to be honest the CPU spiking is quite excessive in my opinion.

Is this normal for this and other chromium based browsers.?
    How does google chrome compare.

All i want is a web browser that is not heavy on the CPU.
    Every time i browse my laptop fan goes nuts and running every 3-5 minutes.

Any ideas or suggestions on light browsers please.

Thank You.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

My experience is that most of the times it's caused by the Adobe Flash Player plugin, like if I go in on a website that has many flash based Ads then the CPU usage goes up dramatically. But if I browse a website like Wikipedia that contains Zero ads and no flash content all is calm and smooth :)

3. The Red Moon

Hi.

Im starting to suspect the flash player.Whenever i close the browser everything is calm and tranquil until i start browsing again and the CPU is spiking to 12-15% on a regular basis.
    I find it annoying.

I tried firefox and it started acting in a similar fashion.:)

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not sure, but you could try to find an add-on that lets you disable the flash plugin so you can see if things improve when you have it disabled, though some websites will probably not function properly with flash disabled and look a bit weird. :doubt:

5. The Red Moon

Currently i use an extension called flashblock and i have set the flash player to click to play in dragon.

Other extensions are wot,adblock.adblock plus,lastpass.

Regards.:D

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, you weren't very clear. Does this seem to happen when using Flash? Or is it going on when you're not viewing Flash content? It sounds to me like this isn't a Flash problem, considering it happens the moment you open the browser back up. I'd be checking addons, namely the adblockers. You're not loading both adblocking extensions with the same lists, are you?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I noticed pretty extensive cpu usage in Chrome when viewing flash videos myself, so it is probably flash related if flash is in use. Firefox, for some reason, does better for me on flash cpu. So that's what I stick with at the moment. Chrome did seem a bit high...

8. The Red Moon

Adblock-easy privacy.-easylist.

Adblock plus-malware domains-fanboys list.-easylist.

Which one should i keep.?

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Fanboys list is EasyList They merged not long ago, so you've got the same list checking itself twice every time you load a new page ( I believe at least). Keep EasyList and EasyPrivacy, and Malware Domains. Dump that separate Fanboys list. It's really too bad Fanboy has up and quit. He had some specialized lists that were awful helpful. I'm assuming the "Annoyances" lists will be dead soon as well.

10. The Red Moon

Okay thank you.

I have ditched adblock and retained adblock plus.:)

11. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Hey Amiga,
    I had the same problem with chrome and firefox. On my set up I am running a netbook single core on which CPU is the bottleneck. I have maxed out RAM and I have SSD so IO and memory usage is not the problem. I found that browsers that utilize 64bit system perform much better than those that are running 32bit. So you might want to try the following 64 bit browsers:
    1) IE 64 bit
    2) Opera 64 bit
    3) Pale Moon 64 bit
    Flash will also perform much better if it's 64 bit.

Now if you are running quad core desktop then something else could be the problem and going from 32 bit to 64 bit won't make much difference.

12. The Red Moon

What an excellent reply..

Thank you.
    im really liking the dragon browser and i was hoping you would not suggest changing it.
    But i shall test out one of those browsers.

Thanks again.:)

13. mattdocs12345

Yeah I know, I can't wait until Chrome goes 64 bit. It will be awhile but then it might be the fastest browser on the market.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I'm fine with the speed of my Browser, it is Flash that is slowing it down sometimes, at least that's what we are talking about here, and not that the browser/s itself is slow. For me it's not about having the fastest browser, it's more about having a stable browser that doesn't crash too often, and every time my browser crashes it's always caused by? Yes that's right Flash Player :D

15. mattdocs12345

Sure the stability is important. In my case FF or Chrome both eat up so much CPU when playing flash that both browsers become unusable and then my system freezes. After switching over to 64 bit IE/Opera/Pale Moon, I get no more freeze ups, no more crashes and flash plays just fine. Honestly I don't care if it's 64 or 32 bit as long as I can play my content. Now I have a very specific situations, as I mentioned my CPU is the bottleneck. Most people have either HDD or RAM. I am not telling my solution will work for everyone, just for people who are in the similar situation as me.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  16. The Red Moon

Well i must be quite lucky then as dragon has not crashed as long as ive used it.
    The cpu spikes are a bit of a pain.:)

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Too bad it'll be with us for years more to come.

18. blinking_spirit

blinking_spirit Registered Member

This I did not know. Thanks! I've removed the overlap here myself.

19. mattdocs12345

If CPU spikes don't freeze your system then I would stay with the browser you feel most happy with. I have heard a lot of good things about Dragon :)

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Afaik no one that uses a 32-bit OS like myself will be able to install 64-bit software, like the 64-bit edition of Opera on a 32-bit OS.

But those that got a 64-bit OS can surely try this and see if things improve.

21. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Can I install both firefox and palemoon? Does palemoon require 64bit flash version?

22. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i thought merged list was just experimental for testing purposes @ the moment.

is it really true that fanboy's quit and fanboy's lists are due to die?
    i ve been using fanboy's lists, i never used easy list. and so far fanboy's lists have worked flawlessly for me. too bad if it's true. :doubt:
    anyone to shed sum lite on this issue, please?

23. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Merging of Easylist and Fanboy

24. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks for the info, dave.

do you know when the merger will take place exactly? i wanna know so that i'll switch over to easylist subscriptions. don't wanna go on w/ outdated subscriptions w/o knowing. i always had excellent results w/ fanboy's lists, can't say the same for easylist + easy privacy combo. not nearly as effective as fanboy's for me.
    the reason i'm asking this is i couldn't find the related info on the link you provided.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's already merged, as far as the standard Fanboy and privacy lists. I don't know who is controlling the Annoyances and Enhanced lists, Hubird maybe? If it is him, he too not long ago complained about not having enough time, so who knows whether even those lists will live on. Fanboy himself is walking though, and the forums are dead. I too don't think Easy is quite the same and find many things coming through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.