Excel/Word in Watch List

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by zarzenz, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Javacool,

I think I'm starting to understand how this great program works, but can I ask you about something I don't understand.

If I add an Excel file and a Word file from My Documents folder to the list... the following happens.

When I open the Excel file... I get a warning... don't even have to edit it... the warning is there and again if I close it.

But if I do the same with the Word file... I get no warning at all. The same is true of Notepad text files... no warning.

Is this correct?

It would be great if all the documents files produced the same warning as the Excel file... can I do something or is this just how the programs work between themselves in some way.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I'm sure it depends on the version of Excel, but this sounds like just another one of those inconsistent "features" in MS software. My guess is that Excel, for some reason, modifies the file when you open it (this probably has something to do with newer versions and their "workspaces").

But as far as I know, Word and PowerPoint do not provide this same "feature". (And I'm positive Notepad doesn't.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Ah... right.

So in that case then Javacool... it's like as if this ''feature'' of Excel... even though not maybe intentional... is quite handy from the point of view of FC... as it does provide this excellent early warning that a file is being opened.

But... for it not to be a ''feature'' of the other MS programs mentioned... is a bit of a pity as far as FC's ability to pop up a warning in the event of a Word file being opened in the same way.

Well... I'm glad in one way... because you have put my mind to rest that this is just how it is... so there is not a problem with my setup here.

On the other hand... I wonder if you have ever thought if there is a way that FC could be coded to actually detect when absolutely any file of any description is simply just opened. Now... as I'm not a programmer, I have no knowledge if this is even possible. But if it was possible... and let's say... you put it in a later version... wow... what a program you would have then... it would be the most essential program that anyone could ever want on their system at all times for complete peace of mind checking.

Many thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.