excel-file protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jbionic, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbionic

jbionic Registered Member

Lets say you've copied your employee an excel-file, so it can open the file and do all types of operations and calculations. You know the employee is likely to backup the file and try to use it later on its own computer. Is there any way to disable the employee from opening and working with the file on another workstation?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi jbionic

Before I answer your question, I am going to qualify my answer.

I have a small service business with 8 people who work for me. Two of them do administrative type work and have remote access to my computers. I don't password protect anything. One of them the more senior takes care of my business when I am away. She has complete authority, I leave her blank signed checks to do payroll, and she actually needs and has access to my bank accounts. Both these people have never done anything questionable, and have enhanced my business.

So from this perspective my answer to you is don't give this employee the data if you don't trust them, and actually, I would question even having the employee in my business.

Pete

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

And in addition to the excellent point made above although you can protect the excel file using read and modify password that is not sufficient to protect it from dedicated password crackers or simply taking screenshots of the opened fille in question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.