Ex-ZoneAlarm-Free-User

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ErikAlbert, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sorry ZAF-users, but I have to quit the ZAF-club.
    Since I have my router DI-604 and a new computer, I was planning to install a better firewall.
    It's no secret that ZAF is lesser good than ZAP (ZoneAlarm Pro).
    It was logical that ZAP would have been my next Firewall, but I tried it and didn't like it.

Especially the spyware scanner bothered me and I don't even understand what spyware has to do with a firewall.
    I can understand the presence of a spyware scanner in a security SUITE, but not in a firewall.
    I like to separate problems from one another and ZAP is mixing them.

Agnitum OutpostPro Firewall was my next choice, but it made me crazy with its popup screens to configure it.
    It's certainly a good firewall according my readings, but I have to understand at least 51% of a firewall, otherwise the firewall plays with me.
    I still have a long way to go before I start using a sophisticated rule-based firewall, like Outpost.

LooknStop was my next choice and I like it from the start, because it has a sober and clear layout.
    The "Application Filtering" looks like ZoneAlarm, something I understand already.
    The "Internet Filtering" is new to me and that's good, because I can learn how to use that part.
    So I see LnS more as a bridge to pure rule-based firewalls.

I will miss ZAF of course, but if I stick to ZAF, I will never learn how a rule-based firewall works.
    Please, don't consider me as ZAF-traitor, I always will recommend ZAF as a very userfriendly firewall to less-knowlegdeable users or even worse, indifferent users. :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  2. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

i read somewhere here, forgot the link, that you can disable LnS's internet filtering if you're behind a NAT router firewall...

i also use DI-604 and LnS for my old box and it is working great for me...

3. ErikAlbert

I keep the "Internet Filtering" running anyway, usefull or not. It's a learning tool for me. I got some usefull links to learn the vocabulary of internet, which I don't even understand. Maybe I will never understand it, but at least I tried.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I was a loyal LnS for a long time. Then I started having problems with Yahoo Mail. Traced it to weird entries in LnS. I deleted these entries & all would be fine for a while. Got tired of repeating this over & over. Anyways after a good experience with GhostWall. I went back to Sygate free. Still the best imo for those with at least average knowledge. For those with little knowledge I suggest GhostWall.

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi Erik,

Did you run it with the spyware scanner disabled?

I agree with you on the add on issues, but so far ZAP allows one to disable parts not wanted and as long as that continues, I'll use ZAP.

The parts that I do use are the Privacy controls - add filtering/mobile code, cookie control and cache cleaning, and since v6.x, the HIPS capabilty.

Any of these can be disabled or not used.

Regards - Charles

6. ErikAlbert

The spyware scanner wasn't the only issue, but I don't like it when a firewall starts looking as a security suite.
    It's the same as buying a security suite and disable the AV and the AS in order to keep the firewall.
    In case of ZAP I buy a 2/3 security suite and disable the AS in order to keep the firewall.
    I have a problem with paying for it and not using it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.