ewidoctrl.exe

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Tomaszek, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomaszek

Tomaszek Registered Member

Hi,
    I've decided to desactivate realtime protection as well as automatic updates and leave ewido as on-demand scanner (though I'm still on my 14 days trial period). I've noticed in processes tab in taskmanager that it is still running ewidoctrl.exe process. What is that - should it be running and how can I get rid of it?

Thanx in advance.

PS.
    I'm using ewido 3.5 on WinXPSP2

2. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

You should leave it running. It is the chief executable of Ewido AntiMalware and it allows you to keep getting definition updates using the manual updater. If you disable it, I don't believe that Ewido will run properly, even in the free version. Ewido is designed to run as a service and not just as stand alone scanner like Ad AwareSE. Ewidoctrl.exe needs to keep running and to be allowed Internet access.

3. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Registered Member

If you disable it,the definitions will not update. :)

4. Tomaszek

So you mean that it is running only to be utilized when I start mian program? Wondering, why it is running all the time. I now, resource utilization is minimal - still it is one useless process - while I'm not running ewido as reltime protection.

Thanx for your answers.

5. OldRebel

I think that you would find that most protective programs that are designed to run as a Windows service will have one running process even if their active protections are turned off. I believe this is true of Windows Defender and I know it is true of Spysweeper. It was also true of AOL Antispyware when I had it ( clone of Pest Patrol). For the protection that Ewido offered, it was something that I was willing to put up with. However, I finally purchased a license, so now there more reason for it to be running on my PC. I believe that Ewido is worth the investment.

6. Tomaszek

Yes you are right about the way that antispyware programs are running. I've purchased some time ago ZoneAlarm Security Suite relaying solely on it. Alas couple of weeks ago I found that something is wrong - because first ZASS removed some trojans - and after some days it warns that some program is trying to modify my etc/drivers/hosts. So I've downloaded couple of antispyware programs starting with ewido which was recommended on ZoneLabs forum. I've tried (besides ewido) spywaredoctor, spywaresweeper, AdAware and one more which's name I can’t recall. I'm also familiar with WindowsDefender running it on another box.
    o_O
    Yes, only ewido has removed *.exe from my %System%/system32 folder which appears to be the one causing problems. Yes, other scanners did not recognize it (as well as poor ZA scanner did not earlier). That’s why I want to keep ewido. Though - I choose to buy spywaredoctor license; thinking that it gives more real-time protection than its competitors.

Apart from that how many antispyware programs a man could/should run?

7. OldRebel

The general rule is not to run more than 1 antispyware program with active real time protection to avoid conflicts. However, I have found that I can run Ewido full, Spysweeper, and SocketShield with active protections enabled without any apparent problems. I suppose much would have to do with your particular configuration. I do not think the 3 that I am running monitor the identical things, so it lessens the potential conflict. LOL In the past, I have tried other combinations that have locked up my PC as bad as malware. I suppose I learn by trial and error, but like you, I confer with the respective forums for advice. Spyware Doctor is indeed an effective program, but personally I do not like it. Regardless of all these protections, I still failed to block many of the test exploits availble at the new test website: Spycar.
    http://www.spycar.org/Welcome to Spycar.html
    also see:
    http://isc.sans.org/diary.php

8. Get

Get Guest

Runs fine here (free version).

9. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

i disabled it and still runs fine...

i can also update with ewidoctrl.exe disabled...

10. Tomaszek

So I guess the question is back. What is ewidoctrl.exe and how to disable it if I decided to stay with free version? :doubt:

11. Tomaszek

Well, you right. Sadly, I found that every single anti-spyware/malware software will detect and (hopefully) remove items which others don't. So, alas, we have to run several anti-spyware programs these days :mad:

12. Get

Get Guest

Go to "Start" (on the left of your Windows-taskbar) -> choose "Run" -> in the screen that opens type "services.msc" (without quotation marks)-> press "Ok" -> in the screen that opens rightclick "ewido security suite control" -> choose "Properties" -> General-tab -> click "Stop" under "Service status" -> choose "Disabled" next to "Startup type" -> click "Apply".

13. Tomaszek

Oh, but of course :oops: thanx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.