Ewido?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by bigbuck, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi,
    Just installed Ewido 3.0.....and don't know too much about it.
    Is it true that the "guard" slows down the system? Should I disable it?
    Is it just a scanner if the real time guard is turned off?
    What happens after the 14 day trial and it reverts to the free edition? Are some of the options turned off?
    Any tips on how to use this app would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Buck.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

The newest version 3 fixed the slowdown problems for just about everybody. Try it and see.
    Yes.
    See the attachment below taken from Ewido's HOMEPAGE.

HTH...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2004
  3. bigbuck

Thanks for your time Puff...and the quick response.
    Greatly appreciated!
    Buck.

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Not me. Even the very latest build chokes my system intermittently. And I'm talking 98-100% CPU usage.

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Not quite as bad as nameless but it slows down my system as well, CPU in the 50-80% range somtimes and it slows down net access noticeably ( at least here on this puter). Other people seem to love it though and have no problems. I leave the resident guard off when cruising known sites and only turn it on when my son starts cruising the net.

6. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I don't notice any slowdown.

Thanks,

Chris

Attached Files:

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Ewido 3.0 runs very smooth on my PC and I only have 533 Mhz.

Here are the Mem Usage at the time of this post:

ewidoguard.exe - 4,932
    ewidoctrl.exe - 388
    SecuritySuite.exe - 15,624
    -while scanning memory - 17,632 (peak)
    -while scanning files - 19,272 (peak)

Has great detection rates and seems to be making great progress for how old the product is. Also, there support seems to be on top of things.

8. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I can't do a screen shot but my stats are quite different. With a system uptime of 21:24:57, ewidoguard has a usage time of 1:42:34(almost 2 hours or about 10% of uptime is being used running ewido) a current cpu usage of 11% as I am typing, current mem usage is 18,884K with a peak of 131,988K and a VM size of 22852K. The cpu usage is almost a constant 11% as I am typing this and it has spiked to 66%. nod32krn on the other hand has a current usage of 0%, cpu time of 1:43 mem usage of 15,068K a peak of 19,792K and a VM usage of 11,196K. Something is not right.

9. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

I only get crashes whentrying to start the suite - says somthing about the background guard crashed, than ewidoguard.exe makes a windows error protokoll.

win2sp4 - PII 233mhz - 160MB ram - Lns + Avast 4.5

Ideas?

Ruben

10. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Sorry if I ask but... The guard crashes when you start the main program (securitysuite.exe)? Do you start it from within the guard or by using the shortcut? Thanks ;)

11. bigbuck

Here's a tricky one guys......I downloaded and installed Ewido y'day.....Did a live update...some 12??Kb...then had 66000 sigs in the database....all ok, or so it seemed. Turned comp on this morning and had 0 items in database...tried an update, but it was already running in background.....it never finished before I logged off and shut down. Got on this arvo again and downloaded the 66000 sigs again....What's up with this program?...Will I be doing this on a daily basis?.Why didn't the upate hold?
    Thanks,
    Buck

12. nameless

I don't know, but I've had nothing but headaches with Ewido, including with updates. I like it quite a bit, but it drives me nuts. Your best bet may be an uninstall/reboot/reinstall. (Fun!)

13. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

We released a new database yesterday, therefore the old one got deleted at the beginning of the update.

What do you mean by running in background? The ewido updates do not run in background, at least the little info window should be visible above your systems notification area. ;)

14. nameless

That must explain the ton of false positives I was seeing. I've never seen so many FPs in my life.

15. bigbuck

Maybe it was already automatically updating while I was trying to manually update it....can't remember the exact message (error) I got.....
    PS. I did turn the guard off.....I think it was slowing the system a bit....Didn't look like too heavy a load in task manager, but system is a lot more responsive since I turned it off.
    Thanks,
    Buck

16. nameless

And they say it's not a widespread problem.

17. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

i agree. the guard consumes too much cpu power. system feels sluggish and not very responsive when it is running. had to turn it off also.

18. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Strange, Ewido doesn't slow down my system at all...

These things were far more visible with for instance Kaspersky AV and Outpost, to name two cpu hungry beasts :)

19. nameless

It seems to depend on what you have installed (browser, etc.). But there's no way that Ewido doesn't slow your system down "at all".

20. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am running Ewido (guard on) as well as Spy Sweeper and CA InoculateIT, also buzsaww (defragmenter on the fly), spywareguard, software firewall.
    I dont notice any system slowdown or whatever. I did a manual scan after your posts and it let me continue the thing i was busy with. So far Ewido caught one naughty and never any FP's at all. (oh yes, did once but after sending this to the support guys there was a fix within few hours). I don't have any issues with the updates either.
    So to conclude: I am a happy camper with Ewido (and the other mentioned apps as well ofcourse)

Regards,

Gerard

21. Edwin024

Nope, Gerard... Nameless says this is impossible, so it is... :D

I'm now typing this in FireFox, with F-Prot system scan running, plus Spysweeper, Ewido scan, NOD32 scan (for the fun of it) and Lock 'n'Stop firewall. And I can still do whatever I like... So: not impossble at all ;)

Oops..almost forgot that the Giant Antispyware scan is also running!

22. nameless

I'm a fan of sarcasm, too. ;)

But it's true: The only way for there to be no impact would be for it not to run, or for it to use literally 0% CPU time. But Ewido does use significant CPU time, that's well known here in these forums. Having a performance impact and noticing that impact are two different things--which was my point. :-* I can accept that Ewido doesn't affect some systems enough for it to be a problem.

23. IsisOsiris

IsisOsiris Registered Member

hello. just wanted to add my feedback.

I'm using two scanners. One A2 and Ewido.

First, the I let Ewido scavenged for any buggers. Catches a whole bunch. one virus-cookie and spyware galore.

second, after it was done, I let A2 into the ring and let it a hammer away. Much to my surprise it catches what Ewido misses.

third, after A2 is done, I let Ewido fire up. Once again, it finds more spyware and another similar cookie-virus.

I'm sitting befuddled. I haven't surfed the net since the scanners were used.

24. Edwin024

Don't...

I have tried myself some things too. And it is always a fact that different programms find different things. They of course find some same things too. But the one is better in A, the other better in B. And then you see what you saw.

25. bigbuck

Scanner worked ok....now that chews some cpu!.....found zip, zero, nil, nada....which is what I find with NAV, Spybot, Adaware etc.....just the way I like it!
    BUT...the guard (I think) did have some adverse effect on my system. It did not chew cpu....it looked ok in task manager....it's just that I felt something was not quite right....just a tad slow to respond.....anyway I turned the guard off, but will cotinue to use it as a scanner.
    PS> What happens after the 14day trial?
    Cheers,
    Buck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.