Ewido: worth paying for the resident scanner?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by AShaR, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Well that's the beauty of it. I have Ewido's on demand scanner installed on both pc's anyhow and they update automatically very nicely ;)

I am just looking through the Processguard forum right now though and there seems to be a dispute as to how well BOClean/PG runs with other programmes wrt CPU usage. I am wary about conflicts with other running processes so will hold off making a decision just yet. Ewido works fine with other programmes but I don't want to pay for the privelege twice every year. Against that, BOClean's cost efficiency will only be worthwhile if there are no conflicts.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=68888&page=2

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

You don't have to pay once or twice a year IIRC. I've read it somewhere here, but can't find the topic.:doubt:
    You only have to pay for a new version = 3.0 to 4.0. Signatures are included in your version or am I wrong.
    I also bought Ewido, because it plays nicely on my system and it gives me extra protection.;)

Edit: I must have been dreaming I think :D
    but I don't mind paying once a year for it, same as my antivirus, anti-spyware and so on. It updates daily without any problem at all. :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  3. sinbad370

sinbad370 Registered Member

The Ewido Interface on the lower right hand side shows the yearly license experation date.

I agree it is a very good program.

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

o_O Where do I find that?
    Indeed it is.;)

Attached Files:

5. sinbad370

I don't see it on yours. I just did a double check on mine and it is right below limitations none. Im not sure how to include an image or i would to give you a view of it.

6. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It depends on when you bought the software and what license model was current back then ;)

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thanks for verifying. Have a look at this topic to know how to include an image.
    Oh, that explains it. I've been looking all over to find it.:D
    Thanks for letting me & others know. ;)

8. sinbad370

thanks lets see if this works.

Attached Files:

9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

You're welcome. ;)
    Congratulations, I can see your expiration date now, but not on mine. fish25 explained why. :)

10. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

There are a couple of issues I still need resolved regarding BOClean but I am going to open another thread as I think it is possibly getting away from where this one started out. Thanks everyone.

11. RAV

RAV Registered Member

Consider TrojanHunter since it offers a resident guard and a scanner, has great support, and upgrades plus the rules (signatures) are free. The guard is also light on resourses and the program is very easy to use. The latest version also autoupdates its ruleset on a given time each day or you can update on demand. I run this on 2 PCs (I do have a 2 user license) and have never had any problems.

http://www.trojanhunter.com/

12. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

That looks very interesting in that there are no yearly subscriptions at least at the moment. i would prefer to pay one fixed fee than a yearly fee if possible. How much is a 2 user license, I couldn't find any information on the site?

EDIT: it's ok I found it $89 which is steep but would be worth considering if it was for the lifetime of the product or at least guaranteed for more than one year. I will probably give it a trial though, in that time there should be more information on software upgrades on most other programmes as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  13. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I have been using TH for a few years now and it has been upgraded for free several times and the rules are updated often as well. While they won't guarantee that they will never charge for upgrades/updates in the future, I have been using the program for a few years now and I am quite pleased with my purchase. Support on their forum is also very good and I wouldn't be afraid to buy from them.

14. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

I have downloaded a trial version of TH on my family pc and am about to run a first scan now. I don't expect it will turn up much as I ran an Ewido scan a week or so ago and it's mostly tracking cookis that turn up. Still, should get a look and feel of the programme which is always helpful.

15. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Just thought I'd let you all know that I decided to go with Ewido after all. I got a very good deal which didn't cost me much at all and for the price it was worth taking a license on both computers. Even so it was a tough choice. At the advertised prices I would definitely have gone for BOClean which in all honesty might have been designed for people in my position. A realtime scanner for use on multiple machines with no yearly licenses. I would have no hesitation in going with BOClean in a year's time. Bottom line is there are 3 or 4 very highly rated AT's out there and you wouldn't go far wrong with any of them budget permitting.

16. sinbad370

Either way( BOClean,Ewido,A2,TH,TDS3) you win. They are all outstanding products.
    Good hunting ;)
    Ken

17. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Yes they all have their strengths. I was very happy to go with BOClean as well but future plans are all quite vague and I didn't get a mail replied which was sent a few days ago. Ewido replied very fast and I like the direction they are headed. I got a good deal and in a year's time I am sure I will be able to re-evaluate when all these AT vendors will probably have the next generation on the market :)

TH and TDS-3 were all given serious consideration as well and if I had to buy a single license I would have given them even more serious consideration, but the two license option is just a bit out of my range at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.