ewido vs trojanhunter

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Incognito, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incognito

Incognito Registered Member

I've been looking for a anti-trojan scanner to protect my computer with and I've narrowed it down to these two. Im mostly interested in the resident shields so if anyone could answer which one is better? Memory/cpu wise and detection rate?

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I have licenses to the big three, don't ask me why I'm a middle aged kid with too much play money. Right now I have A squared 2 running on my work laptop and it is a bit heavy but running smooth as silk. They say memory use will improve in the next few weeks once the debugging code gets taken out. Ewido 4 is running on my Home box and its running light and smooth with no problems. Virtual memory right now is about 40,000K. Trojanhunter is really coming along in adding signatures but still seems to lag a ways behind the other two. Ewido right now has 365,000 signatures and A squared is over 400,000. Trojanhunter has far less but makes up for it with rulesets.

Trojanhunter runs light as a feather and is more targeted towards Trojans. Ewido and A squared cover a huge range of areas like worms, spyware and malware. I lean towards Ewido and A squared because they are so comprehensive, a nice supplement to my AV. All three of them have trial versions so give them a go...:cool:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  3. Incognito

Incognito Registered Member

thats a hell of a review thanks! :D

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

No charge...:eek: :D Keep us updated on what you choose...:cool:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  5. Smorg

Smorg Registered Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is actually the exact question i was about to ask. I've been spending the day googling trying to decide upon an anti-trojan to supliment my current security solutions. I've read some good things about both trojanhunter and ewido and have also found some good 3rd party comparitives that seem reputable and have a good description of the features and methodology of each.

However these are all rather old. I think the most recent of both ewido and trojanhunter reviewed by the same tester was using ewido 2.0 and some old version of trojanhunter.

Do any of you know of a good reputable place to read independant tests and reviews comparing these (and hopefully many) antitrojan solutions? Looking for something up to date that contains some more detailed technical info than a 1-10 'hm the gui on this one is prettier, therefore its better...'

Also thanks for the info mongol... always good to hear more opinions.

6. Anim8

Anim8 Registered Member

The main Anti-Trojan programs in my opinion are:

A²: www.emsisoft.com
    BOClean: www.nsclean.com/boclean.html
    Ewido: www.ewido.net
    Trojan Hunter: www.misec.net

All of them have a trial but BOClean. BOClean does come with a 30 day no question asked money back if you do want to try it.

In terms of memory use, it would go somthing like this:
    BOClean>Trojan Hunter>A²>Ewido
    The first been the lighest. Note that BOClean has no pretty GUI, and is rather plain, with Ewido having the most pretty GUI.

All come with scanners but BOClean has none, its a memory scanner/resident shield only.

Each tend to have somthing the others don't so give them a try, and deicide yourself. All the products listed have a fair pick up rate of trojans. Remember none comes with a 100% pick up rate.

I myself have used A², BOClean and Ewido. I haven't tried Trojan Hunter which is why I can't really say much about it, but hear its good. I use BOClean myself, though A² and Ewido are good choices.

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The best recent test for anti-trojans is here:-

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

You need to click the 'Comparatives' tab in the lefthand column, then scroll down for the PDF report 'Anti-Trojan Comparative 2006'.

Trojan Hunter was withdrawn from the tests at their request, because of poor performance.

8. Smorg

Smorg Registered Member

ah thanks for the info guys. I thought ewido was one of the more heavy resource consumers but i guess its been improved.

Also didn't know avcomparatives did trojans too! cool :-D

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Of the two choices in the topic I'd take Ewido.
    Although IMO BoClean is money well-spent and my first choice!
    Something I have noticed about BoClean,A-squared,and Ewido is the update frequency is impressive.:thumb:

10. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Re TopperID's statement "Trojan Hunter was withdrawn from the tests at their request, because of poor performance," in AV Comparatives...

A friend, active in many forums incl. misec net (re TrojanHunter) wrote that:

"The reason Magnus withdrew from the av comparative is quite simple.

1. The test bed was tainted with a lot of spywares that are not really
    classed as trojans. TH was originally developed as a strong detector of
    trojans, not spyware. Magnus has changed this direction since he brought Gavin on board in Dec 2005. If you look at the number of new rulesets added since mid December-2005, you will see that Gavin has increased the detection by more than 100% (39000 to over 78500 as of today).

2. The test was being conducted during the time frame that Magnus was making significant changes to TH for V4.5 release. So he felt that the test would not reflect TrojanHunter's true capability once V4.5 was released.

3. Magnus is among a group of security experts who is attempting to develop internationally accepted standards and procedures for testing security programs that are classified as anti-trojan/anti-spyware programs. He firmly believes that the lack of standards and procedures results in non-representative testing procedures currently be used and published."

I seem to recall, in just the recent recent past, that Ewido came out not looking "best" as far as that goes (and yes, I have a lic. for that app too, but am not using it just now).

SG1 (Pat)

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

1. That could be it, however the testbed was the same for everybody and he initially said yes, only after receiving the results did he withdraw.

I'm pretty sure that if they had a very good result...lets say they was the best in the test that it would not have been withdrawn even if spyware samples were in the test and not a word about "The test bed was tainted with a lot of spywares that are not really classed as trojans." would been heard. The fact that he had (& in this very forum i believe) said that anyone was free to test Trojan Hunter only weeks before this only adds to the blury picture.

2. Really bad excuse, the versions are constantly changing so you would never be able to participate in a test with that argument, because there would always be a newer/better version "just around the corner" so sorry we can't participate we have a new version coming....

A2 or Ewido did not withdraw even if the detectionrate wasn't all that great for them either and they have also released new versions since.:)

12. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Don! How are ya?

Great post Don. What an eye opener. Thanks for clearing the blurred picture.

Rilla927

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.