EWIDO VS AVG7.5 - DIFF RESULTS

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by thruhiker, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thruhiker

thruhiker Registered Member

Hope someone here can help me.

A couple months ago I picked up some malware. I googled, and learned that Ewido would fix my problem. I ran the online scan and it found the virus and got rid of it.

I saw that AVG7.5 is the same thing as Ewido. I downloaded AVG and for the first few weeks it caught a lot of items and they are now in quarantine. However, AVG has caught NOTHING for over a month now.

Out of curiosity I went back and reran Ewido. It caught a LOT of items.

So...if Ewido and AVG are really the same then why hasn't AVG caught anything? Also...I thought about deleting and reinstalling AVG but if I do so what happens to the items that it has quarantined?

Can anyone educate me? Thanks in advance.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Please note that AVG Anti-Virus is not the same as AVG Anti-Spyware. AVG Anti-Spyware is the "new" Ewido, AVG Anti-Virus uses completely different technology. For best protection I would recommend you to use AVG Anti-Malware, as that product uses both AVG and Ewido engines. ;)

3. thruhiker

thruhiker Registered Member

Thanks for your quick reply. You're correct; I went back to the Ewido site and saw that I didn't understand the distinction between the 2 products when I read it the first time. Makes perfect sense now!

4. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

When I first read the title of this thread I thought someone had actually tested Ewido 4.0 and AVG-AS 7.5 in a head to head malware test! :D It would have been interesting to see how both programs compare in detection and removal of malware.

The installation file size of both programs is also different, with AVG-AS 7.5.1.43 having a file size twice as large as Ewido 4.0.0.172c. Improvement in technology or bloatware? Unless they are tested, I guess we will never know for sure. Interesting idea though IMHO.

Attached Files:

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The biggest feature in AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 was the addition of extra drivers meant for better cleaning of infections, minor cosmetic changes and of course the transition to becoming a Grisoft product. As such, AVG Anti-Spyware still shows engine version 4.2 (if I remember correctly), and hence detection rates should be quite similar between the two. :)

6. Rickster100

I would be surprised if AVG-AS was not the better malware remover between the 2, since its supposed to have evolved from the Ewido template (and the installation file now twice the size). I think you are correct regarding the engine also for 7.5, and with them both using the exact same definitions database I agree detection would probably be close.

Its interesting to see the evolution of AVG-AS in terms of the how the installation file sizes have changed over time. They have increased significantly in size. From 7.5.1 the size increased by double and this was when versions become "vista compatable". :cautious:

Anyway, since its on-demand on my setup ill happily stick with my "slimline" free version of Ewido for a while; with no niggling extra services or update issues to worry about. ;) I have no doubt though that Grisoft will soon have AVG-AS running on full steam with all problems sorted soon enough.

Cheers, Firecat for the reply.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks for this, I was wondering the same thing. Would some of the difference in size be due to the definitions included in the newer versions? Also, what is the difference between the Ewido .172c and .172 versions?

I can't remember if the free version of Ewido runs as a system account or not. If it doesn't give this a try for more power to your anti-whatever. http://www.castlecops.com/t107505-Run_Antispyware_as_the_System_account.html
    I know this works with XP and Task Scheduler needs to be either set to manual or automatic (I can't remember which) for those who may have it disabled. Please read the whole link if you wish to try it.

8. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

9. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

The main reason for increased setup file sizes is that we always include to the most current database in the setup. As this is steadily increasing, the new setups are also much bigger in size. Another reason was that for Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows we need to have additional 64-bit drivers and DLLs.

10. Rickster100

Thank you Peter, for the explanation regarding the installation file sizes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.