Ewido update

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by se7engreen, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I went to update my Ewido prog and it installed 14 days free of Ewido Plus...
    It was a nice surprise :)

2. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Just updated, very very interesting indeed. :)

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It bumped my firewall out of first place. Not good. My "kernel" area is too crowded already. :cool:

4. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Hmm... What exactly did it do? ;)

Btw. to avoid future discussions... It will soon be possible to completely close the guard :)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Closing the guard would have to be an option for me.

It loads before Kerio 2.15 as far as I can tell. It has the first spot in the tray.

Also, will this be compatible with sp2 from Microsoft?

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I am decidely unimpressed with a security suite that decides with no user intervention to include itself in start up by using a service and no way from within the program to prevent it starting at boot time

It didn't warn that when updating, that it would take over the system and put yet another "guard" in place

I want to decide what runs as a protection.

It clashes with NOD & KAV and freezes the system locking files so that the other AV/AT can't delete it

It has now been uninstalled and will not be installed ever again

I want ONE running protection & I choose to use either NOD or KAV depending on my mood and what I'm doing with the computer

I was using Ewido as a back up sacnner and was happy with that.

I DO NOT want to use it as a primary scanner as it, at this time isn't good enough fore that, I use TDS as primary Trojan scanner/protection with NOD/KAv as additional protection

7. peter.ewido

Damn... it's just too good :D

We tested it on several machines without any problems yet.

8. peter.ewido

You're totally right! We'll implement that as fast as possible in future versions and setups.

Which locking files do you mean?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I didn't leave it on long enough to see. I've been using the Suite for awhile and liked the fact I could scan when I wanted too.

A few more options would be nice as far as startup, etc.

10. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

When scanning a known malware file with nod or kav then if guard is active in Ewido, it also detected and locks & prevents kav deleting it

11. peter.ewido

Sorry, but I can't see a problem here.
    How should the ewido guard know what will be detected by other running guards and what not? Therefore it has to detect everything it knows and prevent execution/file access.
    Where's the difference between deleting it with ewido and deleting it with KAV?
    And last but not least you can deactivate the guard whenever you want....

12. peter.ewido

Ok, there's now an option in the setup which lets you decide if you want to install the guard or not, sorry for any inconvenience!

13. Etsnuffy

Etsnuffy Registered Member

What if you have already installed it? Do I need to uninstall and redo it? Have the tools been removed from the menu or am I missing it ? Thanks in advance..

14. peter.ewido

Unfortunately you currently have to do a reinstall or just wait until the guard has been updated.

The tools are currently being reworked and some new ones will replace the old tools soon.

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

I am running the Plus version. It starts after my AV and after my Firewall. I didn't notice any probs so far except for one thing:
    When I click on "Launch main program" from the systray and then after I want to close it the attached message pops up. After clicking OK it disappears, Ewido still works :)
    I try to translate from Dutch to English:

The instruction on xxxx points to memory on yyyy. The read or write (read) from the memory failed. Click on OK to end the program.

Regards,

Gerard

Attached Files:

16. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

fish, you really need a comparative review from a reputable site before people will be willing to buy ewido. I'm thinking a comparison between TDS, Boclean, PestPatrol, A2, Tauscan, Spybot, SpySweeper, AdAware (yes I know the last 3 are a little off but they do catch the occasional malware/trojan and ewido does catch adware).

You need a better description on the guard checkbox dialog as to what the guard does.

Also need to list the archive support, the way its phrased, people can't tell if support is just zip and rar or there is support for more formats.

17. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Hello,

I just reinstalled Ewido plus and did not install the guard. I like that much better because I have Prevx running and use Ewido as an on demand scanner. The Ewido plus seems very effective and I will consider purchasing after the trial period.
    My question;
    Is this an effective use of these programs? I would value any input from you all.

Thank you.

18. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Registered Member

Just updated ewido and also got the plus package. Has anyone noticed a slight slowdown with guard active. I had to shut it down since it caused some slowdown. I prefer to use this program as an on demand scanner.

19. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Weird, I installed it, and it was running great. But when I rebooted, I kept crashing everytime I logged on to the desktop, seems the service has some sort of conflict with something else on my comp when it's at start-up... wonder what...

20. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Try turning off the guard.

21. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Just testing now, without the guard enabled.

Early observations;

1. Slow scanner but I presume this is because the scan engine is very thorough? Scanner could not differentiate between my partitions and scanned them ALL instead of the ones I selected!

2. GUI a little sparse, A Help-File is needed and the ability to switch on the guard from within the main program AFTER installation.

3. My Security Status is given as only 25% o_O I presume because I did not install the running Guard as File Monitoring, Hijacker protection and AutoMatic updates are shown as n/a.

This low security bar would confuse newbies and maybe in future versions these parameters can be switched on independent of the Guard?

Overall, this is my first look at Ewido and it looks promising but as Taz pointed out it needs testing against the opposition.

I have licensed copies of 2 of the 'big' commercial AT's and Ewido would need to compete on detection, support, effect on resources/memory, speed of updating and price.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  22. peter.ewido

Yes, it's currently a bit slow but that's because it's scanning everything and the whole files and is not using some sort speed-hacks like scanning only parts of a file. It also scans everything that's in the scan list and if you don't want to scan an item you need to remove it from that list.

A help file is almost ready and is currently undergoing translation.
    We are also working on the possibility to switch the guard back on (and also again off ;)), it should be ready soon.

You're right, we'll change that in future versions.

23. dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950 Registered Member

24. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Many thanks fish25 for your speedy response and comments.

Now this is support, someone who takes notice of users' comments.

Good luck with the product.

Now if you could think about a one-off payment with smaller annual update fees? :D

25. peter.ewido

:) We're going to offer special license extension packages at a favourable price before the first licenses run out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.