Ewido & Spybot S&D coexistence

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by jdborges, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdborges

jdborges Registered Member

:doubt: Hi, new guy here. Dell Inspiron E1705 XPSP2, Avast! home, Keerio free, Adaware SE plus, SpyBot S&D.

Issue: Ewido & Spybot feud: as of 2 days ago, I allowed Ewido to star with Windows and SBS&D doesn't seem to like it. It alternately allows and deletes the startup of Ewido. I have posted a request for assistance on the SB forum without sucess. Can anyone suggest a solution?
    Many thanks in advance,

Jean-David

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Jean-David....Welcome to Wilders :thumb:

Considering ewido attempts to write to the appropriate Run registry key approx every 5 seconds....Spybot's TeaTimer is going to constantly have a hissy fit :blink:

As noted in the below thread and acknowledged by ewido support....this occurence "seems to be a bug, it shouldn't rewrite it everytime".

In answer to the real meat of your question....you should be able to have Spybot Always Allow that entry :doubt:

This thread---> Please Stop 5 Second Registry Rewrite

HTH,
    Bubba

3. jdborges

Hello, Bubba,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. At the very least, you have shed light for me on this issue. The question is now whether the Ewido team has fixed this "bug".

Interestingly, I will try to again allow SBS&D and/or Adaware to "allow" the writing via new rules.

My sincere thanks,

Jean-David

4. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

Funny, I have no problems running SS&D Teatimer and Ewido 4 Plus at the same time.

5. Nick Y

Nick Y Registered Member

Me, too. No problems at all.

6. jdborges

Bubba,

I've done some stuff: unloaded the SBS&D resident, set up an exclude rule in ADAWARE SE plus, allowing the registry key HK_Lcl_Mach....Run with value ..path...\ewido.exe. My conclusion is that it is NOT SBS&D but ADWATCH which writes and re-writes to the registry even with the exclusion.

Jean-David

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Add-watch has the facility to auto-block reg changes, if you have selected that option then Add-Watch will go ballistic with all ewidos attempted writes to the Registry.

The solution is to uncheck the option for automatic action so that Add-Watch will give you a pop-up each time a change occurs. Once you have accepted ewido's auto-run entry you should get no more bother, since Add-Watch is polling for changes and there will be no more changes because ewido is entering the same data each time.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=1821&hl=ewido

Incidently, you can get in all sorts of trouble enabling the auto action in Add-Watch, users have been known to wipe out all their executable file associations by one careless mistake. It is a very bad disadvantage of Add-Watch that its use can lead to such consequences.

8. jdborges

YEAH!! Topper,

Problem solved. Many thanks!!!

Jean-David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.